Little Rock, Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Took off mesh cover today. Probably ( or definitely)Algae in pool. Mostly on bottom some on sides. Water is clear.
Starting to fill pool above inlet.

Plan is to brush and run filter.
Or do I fill then run vacuum.

Still need to check chemistry.
Tia

Attachments

• D7A1297B-49A1-4AA7-9EB0-4D9330DD3928.jpeg
    D7A1297B-49A1-4AA7-9EB0-4D9330DD3928.jpeg
    798 KB · Views: 61
  • 7CE739CB-E7A4-414D-A593-647D9DF3B4E6.jpeg
    7CE739CB-E7A4-414D-A593-647D9DF3B4E6.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 7DAF7945-5FDC-4316-8C4E-FD7451BAE3D1.jpeg
    7DAF7945-5FDC-4316-8C4E-FD7451BAE3D1.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 63
Here’s an update
Brushed and started filtering.
added 2 gallons of bleach one last night and one this morning

this afternoon ran some tests
Fc 3.2
Cc 0
Ph7.4
Ta 70
Cya 40

added another 64 Oz of bleach.
Water is still clear just a lot of “fine debris in the pool).

Will recheck the fc tonight.
Will do an OCT in morning.

if the OCT is still zero, should I discontinue slam even though water light green ( getting better)

Attachments

• E7351987-DC2D-4A84-8D4E-B83A6EBF17A2.jpeg
    E7351987-DC2D-4A84-8D4E-B83A6EBF17A2.jpeg
    786.7 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Snoobug
if the OCT is still zero, should I discontinue slam even though water light green ( getting better)
Carry on D.o.T. !!!! There are 3 criteria of the SLAM completion and the OCLT is 1. Having a CC under 1 is another, but unclear water fails no matter what.

It's a process and you're doing great. You want to M for Maintain. Keep that FC at SLAM level as often as possible. Every 2 hours is best while it's still green, but if life gets in the way, it just takes longer. No harm done other than the frustration.

Also, your sand filter will require a bunch of backwashes. (Anytime PSI raises by 25%) Once the algae is all dead it becomes a filter fight and not a chlorine fight. Some will be destroyed by the chlorine, but most has to leave by the filter.

Keep us posted as always. :)

Reactions: Dadofthree74
so I have been doing this since Sunday (4 days). I am not doing a great job about maintaining the SLAM bc life and work.

nonetheless seeing improvement. see pic below

1. re: bleach. I have some bleach from last season. Is it ok to still use (I have been using it) or should I use the newer 2021 bleach. The old bleach was stored inside the house the whole winter.

2. Re: the CC. I stored the reagents indoors the whole time. it does not expire till 3/22. despite the color still being a little green the CC is 0.2. Is it possible that the reagent is old? All the other regents seem to be working fine

3. I am going to have the wife add bleach during the day (around 32 oz 2-3 times a day and I'll adjust with testing when I get home).

Latest test results
FC 5.6 (SLAM 16)
CC 0.2
pH 7.4
TA 70
CYA 40

April 8 2021.JPG

so I have been doing this since Sunday (4 days). I am not doing a great job about maintaining the SLAM bc life and work.

nonetheless seeing improvement. see pic below

1. re: bleach. I have some bleach from last season. Is it ok to still use (I have been using it) or should I use the newer 2021 bleach. The old bleach was stored inside the house the whole winter.
It may be weaker than you are expecting, but I;d use it anyway. Unless you like to keep bleach around the house for laundry and sanitizing things. It's chlorine either way... your choice

2. Re: the CC. I stored the reagents indoors the whole time. it does not expire till 3/22. despite the color still being a little green the CC is 0.2. Is it possible that the reagent is old? All the other regents seem to be working fine
I'm not sure where you are headed with this question. But if you kept good care of the reagent, then it is probably fine. The CC's are being broken down and released. I wouldn't worry about the CC results for now. You know the water is green so the process is the same either way.... to continue the SLAM Process

3. I am going to have the wife add bleach during the day (around 32 oz 2-3 times a day and I'll adjust with testing when I get home).
Sounds like a great idea. The more often you test and add chlorine, the quicker the process will go.

Reactions: Dadofthree74
It may be weaker than you are expecting, but I;d use it anyway. Unless you like to keep bleach around the house for laundry and sanitizing things. It's chlorine either way... your choice

I'm not sure where you are headed with this question. But if you kept good care of the reagent, then it is probably fine. The CC's are being broken down and released. I wouldn't worry about the CC results for now. You know the water is green so the process is the same either way.... to continue the SLAM Process

Sounds like a great idea. The more often you test and add chlorine, the quicker the process will go.

I was concerned the cc reagent is old or not working. But make sense if there is just dead algae it won’t create a reaction. Just need to keep filtering and bleaching

thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes. Brushing daily. Backwashing. Yes to checking fc. Added extra chlorine.
Not sure what do next. If it’s dead algae it’s a filtering process. Add DE? To skimmer.
Also lots of pollen here.

Your recent pictures look a lot greener than your profile pic. That's either algae or copper. Let's hope it's algae, that's easier to deal with.

Is your FC getting up to your SLAM target? Last time you posted test results, you were at FC 5.6 with a target of 16. You want to keep your FC above that SLAM target all the time, or it's going to take a lot longer. There's a few possibilities, either your chlorine isn't as strong as you think it is (very likely with old chlorine, regardless of how it was stored), or you're letting it go too long between testings. How frequently are you getting out there? Have you tested 30 minutes after dosing to confirm you reached your target?

So my wife added 6 cups 48oz of bleach at 2:30 cst today. (She missed the earlir dosing. She doesn’t test the fc)

just tested.
fc 15
Cc0.5
Ta 70
Ch 30
Did not test ph at fc
Cya 40.
Will
Add 5 Oz of bleach and retest in 30 min
4A9B3E8A-F449-4A2D-B3F8-0DE3D740E22A.jpeg

here is the latest pic.

Last edited:
Ok. Well I’m going to pray for algae and not think about copper. ( not sure how that would get in since I only use bleach and a swg). I’ll be more diligent with keeping above slam.
What do you do at bedtime.I just add extra bleach to carry me to the morning. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.