What waterline tile to pick for the natural look?

Htuyo

Jan 28, 2021
Oklahoma
We live in a wooded area. Our house is brick and rock with cedar beams, rustic style. Our pool has gray and tan flagstone coping and a big rock boulder waterfall. I want to keep the natural look without bright colors on the waterline. Any suggestions on what to use? I’m struggling with decisions. I want it to look natural and not boring

Welcome! :wave:
Do you have any designs of the pool or pictures of the house you can share? is it geometric or free form?
There are a lot of rock/stone like tiles out there that can help blend in. Maybe pick a color from the flagstone and find a tile that will match?
Check out this thread of finished pools, you might get some ideas. 😁

My tile was picked out by the previous owner. I just love it. When I had to replace the old plaster finish, they had to slice the stones off straight along the bottom. They needed a clean edge when they chipped out the old finish. But originally the bottom edge wasn't straight, it followed the shapes of the stones, which I miss. If you're replacing existing tile, I suppose they'll have to cut the bottom straight, too. But if this is a new pool or you're also replacing the finish, then you could have the natural bottom line done.

I believe the stones are real, sliced river rock as Kim mentioned. They're not fake. They come on a backing, just like 1" tile does, so it's not hard to install. For the step markers I peeled individual stones off the backing and then helped the tile setter arrange them on the benches and steps.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
It's flagstone. Many people have success with it. Many do not. I'm one that didn't. I believe it has to do with which quarry it comes from. The problem is that flagstone, like all sandstones, consists of layers of compressed sand. Water is not kind to that geological make up. It can break down and become sandy and/or come apart in flakes, large and small. I've had all of those problems.

There is a very expensive chemical process that can be applied to keep most of it from happening, and that process (about $3K for my small-ish pool) has helped quite a bit, but not 100% solved.

Also, I was first very concerned about the jagged nature of the edge (which admittedly is one of the things I like best about it). So far none of the kids has been injured by it, but it has some potential to leave a nasty "road rash" if hit just so. Other types of coping have different degrees of this possible problem, but flagstone is probably among the worst of them.

So yes, I think it's gorgeous, too. But it can have issues...

What tile did you use?
I bought the house with pool, so it was the previous owner that picked out the deck and coping and edge tile. I replaced the finish, so had to replace the step markers. They matched the edge tile. I just happened to find the right stuff at a local tile shop. Perhaps that's where the previous owners found it. I didn't really notice the brand or style. But it was similar to 1" tile in that it came on a white mesh backing.

It appears to be sliced river rock, if that helps. If you're looking to use the same stuff, I could maybe call the tile shop for you and get a name. Of PM me and I'll give you the name of the tile shop and you can call them yourself.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.