What VS pump?

Vette87320

May 18, 2023
Ashburn, VA
That is a great pump.
There are 'off brand' alternatives for far less money. But if you are hiring someone to install, go with the Superflo VS.
Recommendations going from single speed pump to VS pump
Hi everyone, I have a 20 x 40 unground pool Approx 33,000 Gallons And a Hayward DE 4800 filter, Circupool Rj55 saltwater generator, 2 skimmers 1 main drain 3 return jets My filter is far from my pool. It's a pool that was there when I bought the house looks like it 1 1/2" plumbing. what size VS would I need?

Welcome to the forum.
The higher hp rated VS pumps will use less electricity and will be quieter. The lower hp rated VS pumps will cost a little less.
Without automation, my statement above applies. A Pentair Superflo VS is a great pump. The Intelliflo3 is better. Or the Calimar VS pump is cheaper.

Hi Thank you! But my question also what Hp on a Variable pump is it different then single speed pump
Get the biggest hp VS that fits in your budget. Larger cost more up front, but will use less energy and typically pay back.

Not really dependent on size. I have 30K gallon pool and have a 1.5hp VS...works fine. If I were to need to replace it I would get a 3hp.

Get the biggest hp VS that fits in your budget. Larger cost more up front, but will use less energy and typically pay back.

Not really dependent on size. I have 30K gallon pool and have a 1.5hp VS...works fine. If I were to need to replace it I would get a 3hp.
ok thanks
No doubt this is what will make your pool happy. Calimar 3hp vs pump
ok yes ill look at that one problem right now is I have a lot of stuff on top of the water with the pump I have dont know if that's because the bearings are bad so was gonna switch to a variable speed pump just dont know if I get the 1 1/2 hp or the 3 hp

Dominion energy has a $300 rebate for VS pool pumps if they are your provider. If not there may be a rebate from your other company too.

The $519 calimar is even harder to beat at $219.

Reactions: wireform

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are asking if 3hp is to big for 1.5" pipes? No. Should be no problem with 1.5" pipes. You will likely end up running slower speed with the VSP anyway.
ok great thank you so much
If you are asking if 3hp is to big for 1.5" pipes? No. Should be no problem with 1.5" pipes. You will likely end up running slower speed with the VSP anyway.
Ok have you ever heard of Dohney pro VS 3 hp pumps

One thing to plan for is VS pumps have built in smarts. They will run for a set amount of time, per a schedule. Unless you have a controller that overrides that, but I think the calimar needs an add on to support remote control.
If you're using an external timer switch for your single speed pump, it will be different.
Should not be a big deal, but it is a change.
You may need to figure out how to sync the pump and SWG.

Randy

Reactions: Vette87320

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.