What to do with corroded light niche/fittings? chrome gone

midweststeel

Oct 4, 2022
Missouri
I bought an old house with an old pool... (skip to next paragraph) (background) I should have tore it out, but my kids enjoy it and building a new one isn't a financial option.
Its stainless steel sides and plaster bottom. It was trashed when I bought the house and I sand blasted the peeling paint and skim coats and used Sider Crete to DIY it & Vulkum to seal. It worked for 2 seasons, but has been losing water, so I drained it again. The white plaster immediately turned stained after one season. Ascorbic Acid would make it white, but corrosion continued (i tossed old pool heater) have drained and am going to recaulk again this time with some primer.

So here I am thinking these old fittings are just leaching copper/zinc etc into the pool staining the plaster, but what to do? Many are hard to get to to replace if replacements can be found. I'd like to just cut the light niches off completely and silicone some plexiglass and just drill in some LED lights. Is there a way to coat these? maybe some underwater metal paint from the boat store?

(PS the stainless steel cleans up to new with Flitz Polish. I tried everything and that stuff is a miracle & non toxic. I'll be running my polisher on the whole pool tomorrow)

Attachments

• IMG_4565.jpg
    IMG_4565.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 9
I used a Vulkem product 5 years ago to seal this, but it peeled off in a few locations (i didn't prime the metal). Vulkem states specifically not to use this produce underwater... I called their support. Pool store sells it and says thats what everyone uses. I have a few left over that are still good and going to reuse it unless anyone can recommend a better one with a bit more flex ability?

PS. its a super old pool, maybe 1980 or 1960's even. It belongs in a dump, but just been craigslisting pumps, chlorinators, and odd and ends to keep it running for my kids. It lost too much water this season so recaulking it better this time around.

Attachments

• IMG_4567.jpg
    IMG_4567.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 6
I went ahead and used vulkem again, 116 white. used alcohol to prime this time. I'm using interzinc available at West Marine to coat my deplated fixtures. I talked to the paint's support team and they confirmed its their only underwater product they'd recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.