What to do when out of town?

May 7, 2018
Greensboro, NC
Hi fellow pool friends,

We are travelling out of town in the coming weeks for a few days. During this time, will be unable to chlorinate my pool. Given that I use liquid chlorine, not sure what I should do here. Would it be best to cover the pool, and basically get to shock level right before I leave to ensure it's okay? I have some chlorine tri-chlor tabs from last year which I could use, by, the CYA in them scares me...granted, for four days, I'd imagine it would be almost minimal increase, but, you get the idea. Looking for ideas. There is no one that I could trust to add chlorine to it - so, that's out.

Current pool parameters just because...

FC - 8
CC - .5 - 1 (hard to tell here) - but for sure no greater than 1
pH - 7.5
TA - 70
CYA - 50

Raising to shock level should be fine - some cover & some do not - a couple days shouldn’t be an issue either way.
Some people also just put in x- amount of days worth of liquid chlorine- Instead of shock level- its up to u.
If you wanna know how much cya you’ll add with pucks - use effects of adding in PoolMath 1 puck is 8oz of trichlor.
Enjoy your trip😊

I just bring my FC up to SLAM, put the winter cover on and shut the pump off. It has always worked well for me for ~ a week, but of course higher water temps mean you still run a little risk for algae (this works for me, but your mileage may vary).

When I get back, I will run the pump for a bit (with the cover on) just to turn the water over then pull a sample and check my levels. Usually after a week trip, it will be a few more hours or the next day before I get the winter cover back off the pool.

If you have a good neighbor, you could ask that they come feed it for you every day. You can fill empty jugs with the amount you want them to add every day so all they have to do is empty the entire jug in front of a return and then come back to turn the pump off at night (if you are not on a timer)

So, leave the pump off when gone?

That's just what I choose to do but if you prefer to run it just check that your pump cant run dry, etc (as mentioned by Mdragger88) and that everything else "works right" with the cover on and pump running.

You could try covering it up and testing it out before the trip for piece of mind. Cover it up and run the pump for a bit to see what it looks like. What works best is different for each pool - just give it a shot and have fun on the trip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.