wireform

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
Disregard pool in signature.

Opened an IG APPROX 20,000 Gal vinyl pool which was closed for three years via TFP and passed the slam now with perfect water. The water was dark green and I couldn't have done it without the wonderful active forum which gave me all the incite needed just by reading the daily new posts. You know you have been educated when you know the answers to a good part of the questions being posted. SO THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE.

Here's my question.
This pool has an Goldline Aqua Rite SWG with a T-9 cell. The max salinity recommended is 3500 ppm and my Taylor 1766 tells me I have 4200 ppm (2 weeks ago) or by now more as I was still in the process of clearing up the water and dumping in the chlorine. How do I go about reducing the salt level to Aqua Rite spec. I'm told too much salt will burn it up rather quick. I'm not even sure the cell has life at all being this was a home purchase 3 years ago and pool was closed. Is there a way to check the cell prior to bringing up the CYA to 80 in case the cell is dead and they want to wait till next season to spend on a new cell. They could go the way of liquid chlorine for the rest of the summer so I don't want the high CYA just yet. Is there a good after market cell that has been good to recommend . I would jump to the next larger cell (40,000 gal) as this is a max 25000 gallon cell and this control can support it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

FC-9 (coming out of slam)
CC-.5
PH-7.6
CH-300
TA-90
CYA-30 (PRE SWG LEVEL)

ALLAN

Check the diagnostic readings then move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.

What are the first four characters of the cell serial number?

The cell is 9 years old. So, it's probably dead or close to it.

Check the diagnostic readings then move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.

I removed the cell and there was next to nothing to clean but did it anyhow with 4:1 Ma. Didn't look bad at all so it still remains a as an unknown.

I'd say time for a new *larger* cell! That one was too small anyway :rolleyes:

Aim for a T-15, you'll use is less so it should last a nice long time. We always recommend getting cells at least 2x the pool size.

Maddie :flower:

To see if the cell is producing, put the switch on super chlorinate and wait a few minutes to make sure its running, the capture some water right out of the pool return and test it for chlorine. Then test again at your normal spot and compare readings.
The outlet pipe test should show be pretty much maximum chlorine if the cell is operating.

The cell is 9 years old.. but how much of that time was the pool closed for, at least 3 years? There might be some life left on it. Yeah, easiest way to check if its producing is to take water from the return or put a test strip in the outflow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To all of you, JamesW, Jimrahbe, YippeeSkippy, Chuckiechan, jblizzle and mguzzy. Giving me the tools for the thought process means alot to me. Thanks again. I will report back with my progress. I also made contact with a company Salt Solutions Inc. – Salt Solutions provides a proven repair option for customers with broken salt chlorinator equipment. that has a nice program rebuilding the swg cell and gives credit for the original core/cell. They will let me upgrade to the T-15 need to be for a small fee. We shall see.
ALLAN

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.