karose7

Mar 9, 2023
Leander, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need help with next steps. (i.e., do I add chlorine first, or lower pH?)
I'm new to TFP and just now learning the basics - thanks to Leslie's chlorine tablets (high CYA). I finally drained/filled my pool enough to get the CYA down from over 200+ to around 50. Now I need to know what to do next/first.
Here are my current test results (if I did them correctly):
FC - 0.0
CC - 0.0
pH - 8+
TA - 190
CH - 210
CYA - 50
*Should I take a sample to Leslie's to compare their results with mine?

I've also attached some photos. I have a nasty algae along the walls and floating in the water. I've removed as much as possible and have a new filter on order.

IMG_0189.jpgIMG_0191.jpgIMG_0192.jpgIMG_0194.jpg

So, the SLAM process mentions getting pH in range before starting. Is that correct? I do that first before adding chlorine?

How much time do I allow in between adding chemicals before I test/adjust?

One more question:
The recommended SLAM level for my CYA is "20". Do I take that recommended number and input it into the Pool Math App to get the amount of chlorine I need? (SLAM: Current 0, "Target Free" = 20) Is that how I figure SLAM?

So, the SLAM process mentions getting pH in range before starting. Is that correct? I do that first before adding chlorine?
Correct.
How much time do I allow in between adding chemicals before I test/adjust?
You may want to do a couple iterations to lower the pH. I would add enough acid to lower from 8.2 to 7.2, let the that circulate for 30 minutes, test pH, and repeat until you get to 7.2 pH or near that.

Then go get the liquid chlorine and start adding that to get to SLAM level FC. Just do not add those two items at the exact same time.

The recommended SLAM level for my CYA is "20". Do I take that recommended number and input it into the Pool Math App to get the amount of chlorine I need? (SLAM: Current 0, "Target Free" = 20) Is that how I figure SLAM?
yes, though you can also just use the slide button in PoolMath to select SLAM and it will do that automatically.

I have a question about my current SLAM.
I'm on Day 10 and still losing chlorine - I believe due to a build up on the walls that I just can't get off. I have manually skimmed daily and brushed the entire pool multiple times daily. (in addition to cleaning the filter every day - I have 2 brand new filters that I swap out/clean daily).

My dilemma is that I just can't get the stuff off the walls to budge! It is hard and rough - feels like concrete on my (used to be) smooth fiberglass wall. On day one it cut my fingers when I tried to rub it off! It's not as rough today.

I tried pouring a tiny bit of muriatic acid on the edge and it did bubble, but didn't seem to come off.

Is there something I can do during the SLAM process to loosen this stuff off the walls? Or do I have to wait until I'm done with SLAM?
I'm making progress, but still not there yet. I get so exhausted brushing trying to get it to budge - this 'ole girl just needs a little help!

You can barely see the build up and streaks on the wall in the pic, but it's extremely noticeable in person.
Pics in order:
1) Day 9 build up on walls
2) Day 1
3) Day 5
4) Day 6
5) Day 9
build up on walls.jpgDay 1.jpgDay 5.jpgDay 6 (2).jpgDay 9 (2).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.