May 12, 2016
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,
Having a problem with keeping debris out of pool because the skimmer is in the end OPPOSITE of prevailing winds, which are heavy this time of year. There are tons of trees and flowers all around, so it has been impossible to keep the surface (or the floor...) clear of debris. It all tends to get pushed to one end of pool.

I was considering getting a PoolSkim, which threads into 1.5" return, but I don't have threads in my returns. Or at least I don't think I do....see pics. One with eyeball in, one with eyeball out. The eyeballs pop right out (there's no piece that screws on over them but they stay in once opped into fitting) and all I have left are these fittings with openings just about an inch wide. See pics. What are they? Do they come out? I know there are stub expansion connectors by Zodiac/Polaris, but they are 1.5", so unless I can remove the fittings from the return opening, it won't be an option.

Any help welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 29
If it screws off I have no idea how I would accomplish that. I tried (because that's the obvious answer...). There is no way to get a good grip on it; not completely flush with wall, but not far off. I don't think adjustable pliers could grip it.

E.g., is there a removal tool I should know about? That could grip it from inside? Feeling around in there it feels like that would be possible.

Did you look at the link in post #2?

Did you look at the link in post #2?
Yup. It is inapplicable, but I did figure it out: I pried the piece out with a screwdriver. It is an 1.5" insider fitting. It is also basically falling apart so I will replace it. There are insider fittings with the standard male threads for eyeball ring nut. Or I could get stub adapter to install poolskim into pipe. So I'm good, I think?

I looked and looked trying to find a tool that took out my return fittings. Finally found it a few days ago and ordered one. I have some fountains that screw into my 1.5 returns and I knew there had to be something that fit into those slots to unscrew it. 😅
BA1563FA-54A5-4B8B-8A42-F84B13EB7816.jpeg95596A64-B4C4-41C9-A326-E98115330C07.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.