What to do about drains?

May 13, 2012
Montgomery, AL
I've been slamming my pool for about a week trying to get rid of mustard algae. This is my second time this summer (I didn't know if was mustard algae the first time). The water is crystal clear, but I swam down and took a look at my floor returns and could see algae inside them. What do I do about that? If I continue slamming will it eventually kill that off also?

I've also seen mentioned on other threads that people remove the cover on their light and scrub behind that. It makes me really nervous to do that since it's electrical. Should I do that also?

Thanks so much!

Is your light the type with a ring around the light and a single screw at the top? If so, take the screw out, the ring should swing down and the light can be brought to surface. That is a very likely spot for algae to be slowing your success.

For the drain, you can take a hose with a spray head and get to it and spray it out. Or if you can, take the cover off.

Thanks! I think the light will be pretty easy. We're going to try the hose in the floor drain, but I'm worried that won't get all of it. If there is any leftover do you think the 24 hour mustard algae shock get it?
Algae has to be disrupted to be killed. So try to clean out the drain area as much as you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.