What to correct first TA, CH or CYA?

Apr 17, 2015
Cypress, TX
Ok after some issues with my pool (read vacation and neglect :)
I'm trying to get things straightened.

I did a SLAM to get things started and this are my readings now: (Taylor K2006 + K1766)

FC 2
PH 7.5
TA 140 - way high
CH 120 - way low
CYA 30 - way low
Salt 3200 (IC40 measures low but is working)

So I need to:
- add CYA
- add calcium chloride
- lower TA ( muriatic, aerate, repeat)

The question is what to correct first?
And can I do 2 at the same time?

Thanks to the pros!!

You certainly can get a few things going at once. But let me ask this important question .... is the SLAM actually complete? Did you pass all 3 SLAM criteria? If so - great. But if there is any doubt, you'll want to ensure the SLAM is 100% complete (all 3 items) "before" increasing the CYA to save you on bleach.

Having said that, at this point, it would be a shame to get algae, but that FC of 2 is already in trouble. I'd add some bleach ASAP and shoot for a target of about 6-8 for now. Don't let that FC drop below 3 at anytime. If you are sure about being done with the SLAM, also get the sock soaking right away with a CYA goal of 70. The lowering of your TA won't interfere with anything, so you can do the "muriatic, aerate, repeat" routine at any time. Lastly, you can add the calcium chlorine, but I would first ensure that the SLAM is complete and that you won't be increasing the pool's FC to shock level. If you do add calcium chlorine to a shocked pool, it could cloud the water up a bit.

Finally, you'll go from bleach back to the SWG for chlorine production, so watch that each day (maybe twice a day) to ensure the SWG and pump are working well together to keep chlorine generated to the proper FC level.

Thanks for the info TXSplash, exactly what I needed.

I'll double check on the SLAM completion, the water may not be as clear as it should be, now with the sun I noticed. So I'll keep that chlorine flowing one more day and check loss and clarity again.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.