What to be aware of when starting pool back up after freeze

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
I’m just curious things to be aware of when starting this back up. Obviously here in Houston I’ve never “Winterized” my pool. I was able to drain all the equipment within 20 minutes of power going out and got tons of water out. I let it drip empty for some time as well. Anyways besides refilling both of my pumps (Intelliflow,Whisper), heater, and filter and turning the breakers back on what should I be looking for/watching in these first 2 minutes/2 hours timeframe? Anything else I need to do here. I need to turn the auto fill back on,check water Chemistry. I turned this thing off Tuesday morning So im thinking by Saturday when weather breaks I’ll need to rebalance. Feedback welcome for sure here. Thanks

Leave it off until you are SURE the power is on and staying on. No sense in filling everything with water just to have power go out again. In very cold water, algae takes a long, long time to grow, so there's no need to rush the chemistry. And you don't want a slug of ice to get sucked into your equipment.

Once the system is running and water is staying where it belongs, you can run your tests and adjust your chemistry as usual.

The big obvious is to look for leaks. You got water out but probably not all of it. There's a potential that something cracked. Get you plumbing running and then look for wet spots or puddles. Freeze damage tends to be rather catastrophic, not a tiny dribble, though smaller cracks are a possibility as well.

Reactions: Newdude and Leebo
I’m hoping once I fill everything up equipment wise the pump primes right up. How long could it take for the Intelliflow to start sucking water. I obviously don’t want to wait too long. Is there any other tips for priming the pump. Should I just keep the hose in there and pump tons of water into the pump before I try firing it up?

Should I just keep the hose in there and pump tons of water into the pump before I try firing it up?
Just fill the basket. After that it will drain back into the pool and won't make a dent in the water level in the pipe. The more you add, the more goes in the pool and the pipe water is still XX feet from the pump. Filling the basket will give the pump some water so it won't overheat if priming takes a minute. If it takes any longer than that, shut it down and refill the basket.

Last edited:
Just fill the basket. After that it will drain back into the pool and won't make a dent in the water level in the pipe. The more you add, the more goes in the pool and the pipe water is still XX feet from the pump. Filling the basket will give the pump some water so it won't overheat if priming takes a minute. If it takes any onger than that, shut it down and refill the basket.
Perfect. Thanks!

Reactions: Newdude
I’ve found this ratcheting wrench to be invaluable when it comes to removing the drain plug on my Pentair CCP filter housing.

Reactions: JJ_Tex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.