What testing kit do you recommend?

rubsal70

Jun 8, 2020
San Antonio, Texas
So I go to leslies Pool supply store here in San Antonio Tx. They have been good but the more I read here most of yall dont trust the stores so I got myself a kit from Home Depot. Did a test and compared to Leslies it wasnt too off. I want to hear your recommendations at what is best. The home depot kit does not have cya. Please i would love to hear your input

Attachments

• pool-test-kits-strips-62364-64_1000.jpg
    pool-test-kits-strips-62364-64_1000.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 7
So I go to leslies Pool supply store here in San Antonio Tx. They have been good but the more I read here most of yall dont trust the stores so I got myself a kit from Home Depot. Did a test and compared to Leslies it wasnt too off. I want to hear your recommendations at what is best. The home depot kit does not have cya. Please i would love to hear your input
Hi and welcome to TFP!

I encourage you to read through ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry for a good understanding of what and why you’re testing for.

As far as test kits go, the best value you’ll find is the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. The Taylor K-2006C will work as well, but doesn’t come with as ideal quantities/proportions as the TF100 does.

Specifically compared to your kit, you’re missing tests for Calcium Hardness and CYA - as well as an FAS-DPD chlorine test which allows you to test above 5ppm chlorine.

Read through the Pool School articles on this site, and you’ll find you shouldn’t ever need to go to Leslies again. Most of us here use nothing other than bleach/liquid chlorine and muriatic acid, maybe some baking soda/borax, all stuff you can find inexpensive at any big box/hardware store.

Hey neighbor. :wave: You want the TF-100 for sure. You can use the other kit for some simple things like pH, TA, and a very low Total Chlorine level reading, but the TF-100 comes with a specific FAS-DPD (powder & drops) for pinpoint accurate FC testing well above what the store kits do. You'll need that FAS-DPD when balancing the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. When you can, I would also recommend the Speedstir as well.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I purchased the TF-100 kit and the XL kit (as a option at discount) as well as an extra graduated cylinder (wish I bought 2) and extra CYA R-0013 reagent (I knew I would be testing CYA more). Although most people test everything 1 or 2 times a week, I have been testing daily to gain experience & consistency which is why I got the XL kit. At the time, the speedstir was not in stock but that is on my list for future purchase. I think once you do the testing for a week or 10 days without the speedstir, you will appreciate the importance of swirling as you add drops. Good Luck.

The tf100 ships quickly & it’s fresh- always get my stuff in 3 days
Amazon stuff sits in a warehouse for who knows how long
Most of My original kit is still in tact after over a year of use. Just refilled the fas dpd portion . For reference i have a spa too so I test year round & i also test others pools sometimes. Most reagents have a shelf life of a year at least with proper storage - cya one lasts almost indefinitely if stored properly.

Reactions: rubsal70
It comes with the drop based ph test, alk, ch, cya , oto total chlorine, & fas dpd chlorine.
it doesn’t include one of those digital ph tester devices. No drop based kit does.

So i saw thaf the tf 100 kit doesn't come with the ph meter? So what does it test ? It says 7 but which ones? Thanks
It comes with a PH drop test similar to what you have now.

All tests are-
- OTO Chlorine test (like your current one) for daily/at a glance use.
- PH Test (like the one you have now)
- FAS-DPD Free Chlorine (FC) test (the good one)
- Combined Chlorine (CC) Test
- Total Alkalinity test
- Calcium Hardness test.
- CYA Test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t use one - some here do.
They can need calibrating & I prefer to keep it simple.
Since I’m already testing the other parameters w/drops what’s 5 more drops?
My ph doesn’t change much so I really have no need for such a gadget. The ones who find it most handy likely have conditions that cause frequent ph changes. It’s really up to your preferences. It’s definitely not a drop test replacement.

I bought the tf-100 when I joined tfp. It was a great start, but now when I run out of reagents I buy Taylor extra large refills from Amazon. You can order what you need individually (chlorine and cya reagents went fast for me) and they have always been fresh.

Its just nice to have options.

Rub'!
Welcome to the club... Did I miss a post somewhere that says what kind of pool you have, the kind of equipment? if you have a SWG, then you can get a k1766 to test your salt too at TFTestkits as well.

@HermanTX when you eventually get your speedstir you will get another cylinder.

I am sorry I didnt mention what pool and equipment I have. I have a 18ft coleman pool. Vinyl of course. I just upgraded my pump to a sand pump, the Intex 2800 Gph Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, 110-120V with GFCI. No salt system.

I am not good with the different shades of orange in the pH- test, using a pH-meter for that reason. Most people are fine with the standard pH-test, no need to invest in a meter until you clearly identified a need. Accuracy of colour based pH-test is absolutely sufficient for pool purposes.

My Aussie supplier sent reference samples with the kits. I found them very useful, particularly to get used to the CYA- test. Gave me a lot more confidence in finding the right lighting conditions for the test. I think TFTestkits offers them, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.