What size unions

Apr 27, 2017
Miami FL
I'm about to repipe my pump/filter setup. Getting Jandy Neverlube valves to replace lower quality red valves.
I want to be future ready and I've seen videos where they use unions in key connections in case things need to change.

I have a Pentair Wisperflow pump with a C900 Hayward filter.

1) What size unions should I get? What size my components are? (Glanced at the manual of the pump and couldn't find the info)

2) Any better/ best value brand I should consider?

3) Should I get 4 unions? One pair for each component? What's the best practice here?

My piping is 1.5".

Thnx!

I would kind of suggest only adding unions when you need them. They add a lot of joints to be potential leaks.

Can't imagine a need to dismantle and bring all the equipment in for winter in FL ... although maybe you want to be able to remove the pump for hurricanes if prone to flooding.

There are unions, like you can buy at home depot and then there are pump unions.. Pump unions have an O-Ring between the body of the pump and threaded connection. This eliminated the leaks that you almost always see on old equipment that only uses the threaded connections. If you look at a lot of pool pics you will see that someone almost always tries to stop the leak with a ton of silicone caulk.

This is what real unions look like... Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Outdoor

The come in 2" and 1.5" sizes, so you need to select the ones for your pump/plumbing.

I'm pretty sure WhisperFlo pumps have 2" threaded connections, but you need to double check.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

... although maybe you want to be able to remove the pump for hurricanes if prone to flooding.

Jason,

You left off the :poke: :p

Jim R.

There are unions, like you can buy at home depot and then there are pump unions.. Pump unions have an O-Ring between the body of the pump and threaded connection. This eliminated the leaks that you almost always see on old equipment that only uses the threaded connections. If you look at a lot of pool pics you will see that someone almost always tries to stop the leak with a ton of silicone caulk.

This is what real unions look like... Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Outdoor

The come in 2" and 1.5" sizes, so you need to select the ones for your pump/plumbing.

I'm pretty sure WhisperFlo pumps have 2" threaded connections, but you need to double check.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Jason,

You left off the :poke: :p

Jim R.

Is CMP a good brand of unions?

This is my setup. Will change the T before the red valve for one Jandy 4715 and the two blues for another 4715.

Thoughts?

4d659e6d555df25f486bb435f4614590.jpg

0aa78790c37288e91b84af419f171f36.jpg

5e5e2b253d830f014a8054d2c1c384a0.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.