What size pump is needed?

Jun 15, 2016
Washington, il
So outside a typical pump for a pool, I would like to pump water up a 2" pvc pipe up 210", I was thinking 2hp but thought I would ask the experts. It shouldn't have any back pressure, it will run down hill after the up pipe and drain out into a multi hole pipe. Suggestions?
Trying to create a simple way to warm up water on roof. Other suggestions other than gas heater.

I have a 33'x18'x54" above ground pool with a 1hp pump.

So outside a typical pump for a pool, I would like to pump water up a 2" pvc pipe up 210", I was thinking 2hp but thought I would ask the experts. It shouldn't have any back pressure, it will run down hill after the up pipe and drain out into a multi hole pipe. Suggestions?
Trying to create a simple way to warm up water on roof. Other suggestions other than gas heater.

I have a 33'x18'x54" above ground pool with a 1hp pump.
Almost any pump should be able to provide the lift except maybe an Intex pump. Your current pump should work fine. What is the make/model of the pump?

Are you planning to run the water directly over the roof? That would be very inefficient and would lead to very high evaporation rates. Is there a reason you don't want to use solar panels?

My current pump is a 1hp Hayward, not sure model. So I am no expert, but I figured to get it over the peak first, then let gravity take it to the serpentine on the other side, I am not sure I thought a lot about my post before I made it. So one side would be straight up to peak, other would be some type of back and forth in a 2" black painted pvc. But if you have other ideas I am listening, never seen a solar panel type set up.

Solar panels are mats that have many very small tubes. The water then travels through the tubes to get heated by the sun. This is far more efficient than using a large pipe. Also, a large pipe will contain a lot more water than small tubes so it reduces the weight that the roof has to support. Commercial panels are available on the web:

Also, this site is pretty good and giving tutorials on how to setup a solar system:

You will want at least 50% of the sq-ft of your pool.

Reactions: golfer8866
Solar panels are mats that have many very small tubes. The water then travels through the tubes to get heated by the sun. This is far more efficient than using a large pipe. Also, a large pipe will contain a lot more water than small tubes so it reduces the weight that the roof has to support. Commercial panels are available on the web:

Also, this site is pretty good and giving tutorials on how to setup a solar system:

You will want at least 50% of the sq-ft of your pool.
I have looked at several panels, some sound decent others have bad reviews. Do you have a suggestion on what you have used in the past and works well?

I have panels like the ones shown in h2otsun site. To me they seem a bit more robust that the other types of panels because of the tube wall thickness.

However, there are others that have decent reviews on this site. Fafco, Techno-Solis, Heliocol are probably the most popular choices. Use the search bar above to search each one of these and maybe you can get a feel for overall satisfaction.

DIY panels are another option but they are generally not as efficient as commercial panels and they are not always cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.