What size pump and filter could I upgrade to?

87seph

Jul 31, 2020
Dripping springs, TX
I have a 16'x32 Intex pool, and I'm considering upgrading the pump and filter as I re-open it for the season.

I plan to add a SWG, increase all piping to 1.5" PVC, and add 1 or 2 skimmer baskets into my pool walls. How do I calculate what size pump and filter I should jump to, and be worth the upgrade?

Thanks!
Mike

Adding an SWG and one skimmer suction isn't a significant demand. A second skimmer would require splitting your suction line, so a little more pull there, but nothing to terribly crazy. 1.5" PVC a good choice. Upgrading the pump and filter are generally a great upgrade to AGPs. I suspect you could do quite well with another sand filter, something in the 24-26" range, or you could go with a larger cartridge filter if you have concerns about water loss (backwashing). You could go with a 1 HP-powered 2-speed pump or go with a variable speed. Even if you split off from the return jet(s) for a fountain that should be plenty.

Reactions: vmaxed and 87seph
Adding an SWG and one skimmer suction isn't a significant demand. A second skimmer would require splitting your suction line, so a little more pull there, but nothing to terribly crazy. 1.5" PVC a good choice. Upgrading the pump and filter are generally a great upgrade to AGPs. I suspect you could do quite well with another sand filter, something in the 24-26" range, or you could go with a larger cartridge filter if you have concerns about water loss (backwashing). You could go with a 1 HP-powered 2-speed pump or go with a variable speed. Even if you split off from the return jet(s) for a fountain that should be plenty.
Thanks Pat! Looks like I could grab the pool pump from Home Depot too when I grab the PVC.

By the way, we're just north of you by an hour or two in Dripping Springs.

Thanks again,
Mike

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.