What should I do with my intex pool for this coming artic blast.

sabrinaintx

Sep 8, 2021
South Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I live in South Texas and was planning to just leave my pool up and run the pump every few days instead of draining it and pulling the equipment for the winter. My pool is hard plumb and has upgraded pump and filter, ect.... The temperature is going to drop below 32 for a day or two this week. 12/23 39/27 with no rain in the forecast. 12/24- 49/31 with a 20% chance of rain. 12/25 it's looking to be a high of 50 with a low of 39 with a 20% chance of rain. Can I just run my pump on those days to keep the water and pipes from freezing or should we just drain the equipment and pool (below the skimmer) and play it safe?

Thanks in advance for the advice

I live in South Texas and was planning to just leave my pool up and run the pump every few days instead of draining it and pulling the equipment for the winter. My pool is hard plumb and has upgraded pump and filter, ect.... The temperature is going to drop below 32 for a day or two this week. 12/23 39/27 with no rain in the forecast. 12/24- 49/31 with a 20% chance of rain. 12/25 it's looking to be a high of 50 with a low of 39 with a 20% chance of rain. Can I just run my pump on those days to keep the water and pipes from freezing or should we just drain the equipment and pool (below the skimmer) and play it safe?

Thanks in advance for the advice
As woody said, just keep the pump running on the night/s you're concerned. You're nowhere near a worrisome temp. (y)

It takes prolonged periods (usually and day and night, maybe even several of them) of sub-32° to freeze several inches worth of stalled water in a pipe.

And legitimate, brutal arctic temps to freeze even slow moving water.

Even though my area has mild winters, we've endured far colder wirh zero issues. The only frozen pipes I have seen in a decade working on pools was 2013 when our high was 6 degrees. That storm also killed hundreds of palm trees and was a multi-century record.

You're good. ;)

Reactions: woodyp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.