What should I do from this point forward? Please help a noob....

Alright, so here's where I am this morning without having done any vacuuming or water change yet. I noticed my TA went down by 30ppm, is this a typical fluctuation due to buffering the system? Or if not, then one of my two test results (last night and this morning) is off. But That's OK, I'm going to go vacuum and top off now, and I will do another set of tests after that. I think maybe two hours of circulating after topping off should be good to do the test?

And, do I really even need to worry much about the Calcium Hardness Test? I have a vinyl lined above ground pool, and my current CH is 225ppm.

FC: 19ppm

CC: 1ppm
pH: 7.5
TA: 150ppm
CH: 225ppm
CYA: 50ppm

Thank you!!

-AquaCat

Low Calcium in a vinyl pool is not a concern. High calcium can cause cloudy water.

Where in Upstate NY are you? Albany area here.

Speaking as a wife, if she would be interested in any "proof" that TFP does get and maintain crystal clear water, there are current and past threads with pictures of black swamps that have been cleared with SLAM Process!

- - - Updated - - -

P.s. it's great to have an informed member!

LOL, no she trusts what I'm doing, at least, I think so....... I did see other examples here of complete swamps turned in to clear, blue pools again. I knew my pool was far from the worst ever, but it was BAD! We are both just happy - and far more relaxed - now that it's really clearing up. And I'm glad to have finally joined this forum, resolved myself to this paradigm, and ordered the recommended test kit; should have done it sooner. I know that once I get it cleaned up, it should be easy to maintain this way. I also learned not to wait too long to close the pool and let a gazillion leaves fall into it. And when that does happen, it's probably best not to wait a year and a half to do anything about it. I think I had so much trouble with the old filter and old system of maintenance that the pool was more of a burden than fun, that's a big part of why I didn't bother with it last summer at all. But now with the new filter system, and the TFPC way of maintaining the water chemistry, I'm really excited to be pool owner again. I know once I get it finally cleaned up it should be easy to maintain this way. I definitely appreciate all the resources here and everyone's help for sure!

OK, brushing and vacuuming is done, I did a backwash just for good measure, and I'm topping off. I will do another round of testing maybe an hour or two after I'm doing filling so the water is well mixed.

Thank you again for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Low Calcium in a vinyl pool is not a concern. High calcium can cause cloudy water.

Where in Upstate NY are you? Albany area here.
Hi! Farmington, which is just north of Canandaigua, east of Rochester. Thank you for answering my question, that's kind of what I thought. I guess I'll see what it looks like after the SLAM, but I think in general it's not going to be something I need to be overly concerned with.

Thanks you again for your reply!

-AC

Hi all!

I did another set of tests this afternoon a couple hours after topping up the pool. I did add quite a bit of fresh water, bringing the pool right up to it's max capacity. From my test results, the CYA dropped, which I was really hoping for. Now I should be able to complete the SLAM safely, but with less chlorine. However, it looks like the FC went up, and quite a bit. Is this because my source water is chlorinated? I didn't think there was that much chlorine in our tap water. If it's not the source water, then my testing procedure needs improvement, but I have a lot of experience with these kinds of water tests, and I think I'm using the TF-100 kit correctly. But the results are bellow, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

FC: 22ppm

pH: 7.5
TA: 150ppm
CH: 225ppm
CYA: 40ppm

Thanks again!

-AC

Your test results look fine. Your FC would not increase from your tap water. You either added chlorine or there was some user error.

pH test is invalid with FC above 10, so no need to do that one

Good luck

Your test results look fine. Your FC would not increase from your tap water. You either added chlorine or there was some user error.

pH test is invalid with FC above 10, so no need to do that one

Good luck
Hello again! Thank you for your reply! I didn't think the source water could possibly raise the FC that much, and I absolutely haven't added anything Wednesday or Thursday morning. So it must be that I wasn't careful with the testing, and will have to try to do better. Either way, I believe I'm on the right track now, the water is certainly looking better than ever. I'll do another test this evening, and the general plan would now be to let the FC fall to the correct SLAM level for 40ppm CYA, and then hold it there until complete. I think everything else is more or less alright for now, yes?

Thank you for your help!

-AC

Morning all! I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend!

I did a full set of tests this morning, mostly for practice, and I posted the results bellow. I seem to have some fluctuations, which maybe my error in using the test kit. However, I think I'm doing well, the water is clearer today than yesterday, so I am proceeding with the SLAM as best as I know how.

I do have a couple questions, if anyone has a minute. I am first wondering why the pH results are invalid at high FC levels? Is it a limitation of the test kit reagents, or that the chlorine itself is raising the pH, or perhaps something else? That's not terribly important, I'm just curious.

Also, I assume it's considered unsafe to swim during the SLAM process when the chlorine is so high. So when is it safe to go swimming? I assume it's when the SLAM is completed, AND the FC levels have drifted down to normal, maintenance levels. Is this true?

Lastly, I also assume that when my SLAM is complete, I would then try to balance the other parameters, and then maintain them from there. It is a waste (or possibly impossible) to try to balance anything besides the FC during the SLAM process, correct?

Latest test results from this morning:

FC: 18ppm
pH: 7.2
TA: 120ppm
CH: 200ppm
CYA: 40ppm

Thanks for your help!

-AquaCat

First - It is safe to swim in your pool when the FC is at or below SLAM level (16 for you); the pH is in the 7's (based on what it was before you started to SLAM); and you can see the bottom of the deep end

The pH test at FC greater than 10 is influenced by the chlorine in the water. The R0014 can buffer up to a FC of 10.
A secret, if you read the pH block VERY quickly after adding the R0014 your pH reading should be accurate. It will darken with time based on the level of FC in your water.

Hope that helps.

Also - you have nothing else at this time that needs to be 'balanced'.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First - It is safe to swim in your pool when the FC is at or below SLAM level (16 for you); the pH is in the 7's (based on what it was before you started to SLAM); and you can see the bottom of the deep end

The pH test at FC greater than 10 is influenced by the chlorine in the water. The R0014 can buffer up to a FC of 10.
A secret, if you read the pH block VERY quickly after adding the R0014 your pH reading should be accurate. It will darken with time based on the level of FC in your water.

Hope that helps.

Also - you have nothing else at this time that needs to be 'balanced'.

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful, and I really appreciate it!!

-AquaCat

That’s cool about the PH, Marty!

Hi, AC! I’ve been out of touch for a couple of days due to vacation in TN, but glad to see you doing well with your SLAM!

So unfortunately I was not home last night to test and adjust the water, but here's what I got this morning about 9:30am eastern:

FC: 10.5ppm
CC: 0.5ppm

I used the Pool Math app to determine I needed to add 48oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine to bring my FC back to 14ppm with a CYA of 40ppm, so I added that just now. I think I read that you should wait about 1-2 hours after adding the chlorine to test again to confirm the FC level is where expected. I've got a CC of 0.5ppm, my water looks to be very clear, there's no dirt or debris, and the filter system is running continuously with almost no increase in pressure. I think I am finally ready to try an OCLT, would you say so? Also, do most of you keep a log of your test results, etc? Is there a good, free resource for that?

Thank you very much!

-AC

With clear water and minimal CC you should do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight.

FYI - SLAM level for CYA of 40 is FC of 16 ppm.

I use the PoolMath App. If you subscribe to it (minimal yearly cost) it stores your data. It also has other great features like a Bleach $ Calculator and the Effects of Adding Chemicals.

^^Wow, I really do need to get glasses, I looked right at that chart and read "14" not "16". Thank you for pointing that out!

I just tested again, I got an FC of 13ppm, and a CC of 0.5ppm. I dosed enough chlorine to bring my FC to 16ppm, and I will try to hold it there the rest of the day, and try the OCLT tonight into tomorrow. I think it has to be getting close now.

I have the Pool Math app, and I like the calculator for sure. I started to log my test results on the app, and it told me that to log any more than just one set of tests I would have to sign up for the premium membership. At $8/year, it's probably worth it, but I was a little turned off when the app pretty much immediately told me I had to upgrade. I thought it would have been nice to lure me in with maybe 4 or 5 sets of tests results for free, then hit me up for the membership. Perhaps I'm wrong, and I should take another look at the app.

Thanks again for the help, have a great holiday!

-AC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.