What should be the max salt level in a liquid chlorine pool?

Drd

Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2017
AZ
I just tested all my chemicals in my pool water which is sanitized with liquid chlorine (no pucks or salt generator). Everything looked good, well Ph needed adjustment which is a regular thing since I add chlorine daily via a feeder. I tested for salt levels which was about 2250 ppm but I can't seem to find out what the level should be to compare with. I know pools with a salt chlorine generator have much higher limits when it comes to salt levels compared to a regular liquid chlorine pool but I can't find that info. Also does borate really work to stabilize PH I don't have any dogs now so wondered if I should add it to the water. I take pride in the minimal chemicals in my pool. Currently I use HASA Chlorine 12%, dry acid and a Descale additive one a month to keep calcium from causing problems and it keeps my tiles clean too. I use a HASA feeder and I find a lot of the salt in the chlorine falls out of solution and drops to the bottom of the tank instead of entering the pool which I wash out twice a year but I need to know what the upper limits are before I need to do a partial drain?

Salinity is no issue other than it adds to your CSI a bit. You are close to being able to use a SWCG. My salinity is 3000 ppm.
I would not let the salinity rise above 4500 rpm. I would think your CH will get too high before that happens. What is your CSI right now? Unless your signature comment on the RO is recent. But that would have removed the salt too.

If you have your TA low and your pH rise is predictable then if you add borates, the pH rise will slow further. When you do need to lower your pH, you will use the same amount of acid overall that you would have used with out the borates. I do not see an advantage in your situation in adding borates.

Hi Drd,
TFP doesnt have a upper salt limit recommendation for non SWG pools. 2250 wouldnt be considered high anyway, but probably would rank in the "normal or as expected" range. Rarely if ever, at least on this form have salt been reported to be above 2500.

If your fiter is the type that needs backwash, and if you ever have enough rain to overflow, or have some way for overflow to drain, then you naturally are diluting the salt content in the pool anyhow.

So to summarize this, I think your salt level would be considered normal, and its doubtful it would ever get high enough to worry about anyway.

Hi Drd,
TFP doesnt have a upper salt limit recommendation for non SWG pools. 2250 wouldnt be considered high anyway, but probably would rank in the "normal or as expected" range. Rarely if ever, at least on this form have salt been reported to be above 2500.

If your fiter is the type that needs backwash, and if you ever have enough rain to overflow, or have some way for overflow to drain, then you naturally are diluting the salt content in the pool anyhow.

So to summarize this, I think your salt level would be considered normal, and its doubtful it would ever get high enough to worry about anyway.
Before I went to a SWG I used liquid chlorine and kept my FC levels pretty high. In preparation for the SWG, my salinity tested north of 4000.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.