What sealant to use for leaking hybrid pool?

Danielle foley

May 23, 2021
Canada
Hi forum members,

Unfortunately for me, my inground pool is leaking 4-6" of water a day. Leak expert came and identified several sources of the leak at various points where the fiberglass wall meets the plaster floor. At those points, there is a caulking/epoxy compound that seems to have worn, causing the leak(s).

Leak professional suggested draining the pool to below that joint/seam...then removing the old caulking, then cleaning the area, then recaulking.

My question to the forum members...does this sound like the correct process? Any tips, tricks, or pointers in doing this repair? Thoughts on a particular epoxy or caulking to use? Especially since I'm here in the northeast were the winters get very cold...so the caulking would need to withstand temperatures below freezing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. All thoughts or ideas are welcome.
Split from fiberglass and plaster leaking at the seam

Hello. I realize this is a very old forum . But I am in the middle of renovating my hybrid pool. I am trying to tackle all the leaks and I have this exact question. Using this exact product . Did it work well for you? I am wondering if I should remove the old caulking and replace it with new. I also will be covering the whole pool with epoxy paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you are specifically asking about since your post has been split off from the original one but if you are asking about the Vulkem 116 then yes, it has working great for me. I am still in the process of getting my pool going this year but from what I can see so far, the work I did in 2016 is holding on strong and the coating (Olympic Zeron epoxy) I used has held up extremely well and it appears that there is no maintenance I will need to do this year on the pool.

To be a little more specific, yes, I would take the time to do it correctly and strip off the old caulking at the seam between the wall and floor as well as check the seams between each panel and take care of those while you are doing the work. If you spend the time now to do it correctly and not just put a bandage on your problem, you should be rewarded with many years of a "trouble free pool" :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Danielle foley
Not sure what you are specifically asking about since your post has been split off from the original one but if you are asking about the Vulkem 116 then yes, it has working great for me. I am still in the process of getting my pool going this year but from what I can see so far, the work I did in 2016 is holding on strong and the coating (Olympic Zeron epoxy) I used has held up extremely well and it appears that there is no maintenance I will need to do this year on the pool.

To be a little more specific, yes, I would take the time to do it correctly and strip off the old caulking at the seam between the wall and floor as well as check the seams between each panel and take care of those while you are doing the work. If you spend the time now to do it correctly and not just put a bandage on your problem, you should be rewarded with many years of a "trouble free pool" :)
Thank you for your reply. I did end up stripping the caulking and replacing it with Vulcan 45 . It is a self leveling caulk . I also used Vulcan 116 on the vertical seams between the fibreglass panels as well and I am going to paint over the entire pool with a high build epoxy . Did you by chance refinish your pool with paint ? My only concern is that it will crack at those seams eventually. I have seen a few other pool owners paint the entire pool as well . But there is never any follow up if this will hold up . Or fail

Hey! I’m wondering how y’all got the caulking out? And did you take it all out or not?

What a pain! I’m using a multi tool right now after just sandblasting the entire concrete bottom and palm sander on the fiberglass. The caulking now needs to come out.

Was going to go with the Vulkem products

Thank you!

I used a utility knife and cut a "V" shaped channel in the seam from top to bottom. I originally was worried about getting all of the old sealant out of the seam but decided it was not worth the effort.

However many years later (7-8?) that appears to have been a good working solution as I still do not have any leaks in any of the seams in my pool.

Also, my experience with the Olympic epoxy has been contrary to the generally held opinion here regarding durability and lifespan of "paint"

Other than fading and getting a little thin in places, it has held up very well. Do keep in mind that i took my pool down to the concrete by sandblasting then started over with primer and paint but that is always the case that the foundation is the most important part of any project.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.