What pump should I get?

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Moved from ...upgrade pump?

I wanted to piggy-back on this thread because I'm in a similar situation. I don't have water features, but will be getting a Gulf Stream heat pump. I'm also buying a Dophin robot cleaner. Should I buy a VS Pentair for $699 or just get a retrofit 2 speed pump? If you suggest the retrofit, which pump motor do you recommend? I currently have an unknown age Hayward Super Pump. I'm near Boston MA.

Thanks!

gb,

I moved your thread here so that maybe one of our pump experts can chime in...

I have not problem recommending a 2-speed pump for a SWCG, but I am not sure if the low speed will turn your heater on.. It may not make a difference to you, but it would be good to know ahead of time.

With a VS pump you know you can adjust the speed to make anything (almost) work. I am a great fan of VS pumps, but they are a little more expensive and have electronics that can fail which 2-speed pumps don't have...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Check for a rebate from your utility company for switching to a VS pump.

If it were me I would go with the VS pump option. You won't have to worry about it not meeting the needs of the heater. It also has its own built in electronic timer to control when and at what speed the pump runs.

The VS pump isn't the cheapest option but it is the easiest option.

I didn't think about the need for the pump to turn on the heater. I'll ask the dealer.

CJadamec - how do you like the Aqua Comfort ACT750? I was recommended the ACT 1500 for ~$3100. I am in Massachusetts so I want to get a heat pump to maximize the swimming season.

I don't have a single bad thing to say about my heat pump. It's run quietly and perfectly for 2 full seasons. If their published numbers are to be believed it also has better cold weather performance than a lot of other heat pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.