What pool chores do you allow (or ask) kids to do?

HermanTX

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
May 20, 2020
Katy TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have been working with family members and neighbor's kids on various aspects of pool care. My thought is that they get the benefit therefore should share in the upkeep.
I am thinking activities such as checking the skimmer basket, how to use the pool net, how to brush the walls, how to use a hand brush on the water line tile when in the pool, remove the floats & toys when finished swimming, etc.
Just wondering what is acceptable or practical for kids (ages. 7 and up) to help with pool care.

Obviously, chemical additions is out, but they do like to watch the testing process.
Any thoughts?

I'd get them started on simple testing- pH, maybe the block comparitor for chlorine.... just to start teaching about chemistry.

As they get to about 11 or so, they could probably learn how to do the full on testing. Its excellent education.

How about using the old version of PoolMath (on computer version) to enter in test results and play around with the numbers to get results.

Get a couple of those nylon scrubbie gloves or blocks and have them float around the pool scrubbing the tiles and water line.

How to read the filter pressure and temperature for your records.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: HermanTX
Math is boring but science is fun! Even the 7 year olds would have fun learning how you test the pool. Or maybe I would have, but I’m a nerd. It sounds as though you’ve got the chores covered. Any of that stuff is age appropriate. Little arms do get tired though so keep it short and sweet. Of course there’s nothing wrong with a little reward after all that hard work.

Reactions: HermanTX
Of course there’s nothing wrong with a little reward after all that hard work.
I have a mini snow cone machine - called a Lil Snowie. I purchased premade syrup from a company in New Orleans.
I do have to ask parents how made each child can have so they don't get to rambunctious!!!!

Reactions: Selenap
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.