Gold Supporter
Nov 6, 2022
Boynton Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm considering installing a SWG in South Florida. My pool was renovated just before I bought the house so I don't have details about the reno. I've heard that limestone (and others) can be damaged by salt water. I don't know anything about stone and was wondering if anyone here can identify it.

Attachments

• fdsa.png
    fdsa.png
    513 KB · Views: 28
Salt water does not damage the stone. The concentration of salt in your pool will typically be about 3600ppm when you install a SWG. This is low and you can barely taste it.

Also, you may want to test your pool water for salt levels now and you may be surprised at what the salt level is as chlorine pools break down and produce salt in the water.

The important thing to prevent damage to the stone is to keep your chemistry in the pool balanced.

As a precaution, you could seal the stone. But then that becomes a maintenance item.

Reactions: shagymoe
It's hard to tell from a picture.

It might be limestone or maybe brick.

It you can find any extra pieces, you can cut them and maybe do and acid test to determine if it is brick or limestone.

Brick won't react to acid but limestone will bubble and dissolve, so you don't want to test on a piece where it will show.

You can try sanding a piece to see how hard the material is.

Brick is hard and limestone is relatively soft.

Reactions: shagymoe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.