What kind of decking do you have? How do you like it?

We had a beautiful nice paver patio around our pool, but wow, those suckers get blazing hot. cant walk at all on them. Moved and the new house has a big concrete patio with a cool deck. As nice as the pavers look, I will NEVER have a patio that is not cool deck. I almost laugh at anyone that has a deck that is not cool deck. Those massive patios with multiple levels that cost $100,000, um, I get out of your pool and cant walk anywhere!! I can walk on my patio, in 100 degree weather, barefoot, without a care. We will probably redo ours soon, stamped colored cool deck.

Yeah, we discovered that with pavers as we were shopping before making final decisions. Looks great but almost unusable and with our dogs, too hot as well.

Strongly consider IPE. I love it. Such a strong wood and looks better than any other option (wood or trex-type). Will never bow and you don't need to stain or seal it. It will weather to a nice silver/grey.

We put in Wolf solid PVC. It sits in the sun from 10 am until sunset. I have zero complaints about it getting hot. The rocks around our pool get painfully hot and the deck is perfectly comfortable to walk on. I've had 20 people on it so far this year and no one says it's hot.

117e566631416b118d0f074537895d2a.jpg
da902a93dc9da454b53d5e4357c78156.jpg
1b00363b6a054314a7326361bcf112aa.jpg
94e2674a30b32e6757609fc07bcfaf25.jpg

Loving Choicedek so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For our previous 2 pools we always used cool deck. I think we also called it keystone cool deck. Never had any problems with it other than washing it down with chlorine and a few hairline cracks even though it was scored for expansion.

For the new pool under construction I boldly went with the new Florida trend and have Pavers. I had Pavers in the two covered lanais and these were supposed to match but as showed in my build thread they don't exactly.

I also have the pool area screened with a 17x20 Twitchell SuperScreen. This cuts down the sunlight 50% so the Pavers won't get so hot and they're light to medium in color.

I walked out there yesterday in 98 degree full sun in bare feet and they are still quite warm but will be ok. Not every day is full sun, we get lots of rain in summer and have the shady areas. Also wet feet and splashing from the pool when it gets completed (plastering today) will help.

Time will tell whether I made the right choice but do consider Pavers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.