May 18, 2019
southern utah
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all, new to being a pool owner and just recently took over from my pool builder. We have these little tiny black bugs all over my cover and I my water. Not sure what kind of bugs they are but anyone know what kind they are and how to get rid of them. I have ordered a tf-100 test kit but have not received it yet so I'm not sure what my water chemistry is. Our pool did sit with water in it for most of the winter while we worked out some issues we were having with our pool builder so I'm sure that there might be some algae or something that may be attracting them to the water. Any info or. Insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200317_112619.jpg
    20200317_112619.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 145
If you've identified them as springtails, you can find some info HERE. Here's a previous thread on the same subject. The key is to eliminate nesting areas around the pool...

do you have a lot of mustard weed up there this year? I have a bunch of these little things all around and in the pool. whatever they are, they will go away in a few weeks. they almost look like adult aphids (except for that one wasp or flying ant), but I don't seem to have aphids on plants anywhere.
these are on my worn out solar cover so those circles are the bubbles which are less than a half inch across.

1584576202148.png

Finally figured out what all these little nasty bugs are after doing research on this forum. These Springtails are a nightmare. I have one of those superfine nets and it took me like 8 trips around the pool to finally skim them out the other day. Looks like you have a bunch of mud on the bottom of your net when done. However, go dump them far away from your pool otherwise they'll just bounce back and wind up back in your pool. I walked my net to the front of my house and dumped them in the street.

I read in another thread where someone suggested to put your skimmer on full blast and hose them into your skimmer... actually worked great, and much less of a workout.

They are a frickin nightmare to deal with. I've had to manually vacuum my pool twice in a few days... yesterday the bottom of my pool was absolutely disgusting with the sheer volume of them.

I just put a call into my exterminator and am going to have them douse the side of my house facing my neighbors yard. They have a pond and all kinds of mulch and greenery in their backyard so I'm fairly certain that's where they're coming from.

Not sure what my exterminator uses... but I've heard that Talstar P, and/or Demand G Granules is what others have used to get rid of these annoying critters. Or at least keep them at bay.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm still fighting the battle against them. I've done three applications of Talstar P over the last 4 weeks. The first two doses seemed to do little. My last application was about one week ago. For the last two days, I have seen no springtails (or any other living insect for that matter). Before my last application, I watched where the insects were coming from and moved some mulch around. I'm pretty sure I found a couple nests as I crawled around on my hands and knees.

I'm no expert, but most insects will respect an insecticide barrier. These things crawl right over the barrier protection and jump into the pool where they die relatively quickly.

If you have luck with the exterminator, let me know what your exterminator uses and how he applies it.

I don't know if this product will work on the bugs you have, but it has worked for me on everything else around the house, from mosquitos, ants, spiders, wasps, etc. I just got a 1 gal garden sprayer, mix per directions and spray around the house, foundation, fence, bushes, even ground. Works very well.
Bifen XTS is oil based and lasts longer. The also have a water based version called Bifen I/T.

@Rancho Cost-a-Lotta My exterminator just left... unfortunately, no magic man.

He sprayed a concentrated Bifen all over and then threw down some Talstar Granules. He said it will "knock them down, but likely won't stop them completely." Went on to say I should see a noticeable difference but with the Springtails you just need to ride it out for another month or two. This is their season.

He charged me $75 and I won't be paying him to do it again. If/when the issue persists, I'll buy the Talstar liquid, mix it myself, and lay down the granules. Will be around the same cost to buy the stuff myself and then I'll have the ability to do multiple treatments when necessary.

I did check with my neighbors and they allowed us to throw the granules on their side of the bordering wall... so I am hopeful as I do see them coming from that side of my house.

Just dumped a gallon of chlorine in the pool to kill whatever pesticides wound up in there as he doused my coping with the Bifen...

Anyhoo, fingers crossed, I'll update if I have any success. Good luck!

I appreciate the response. My springtails came back. Since I've been spraying I have noticed a reduction. Yesterday, I pulled up some Flagstone steps that I have in mulch. There were thousands of them hiding there. I'm going to pull up all of the stones this weekend and try to Bifen them to death.

Lifted all the flagstone steps set in mulch yesterday and sprayed a heavy dose of Talstar P (Bifen). There were hundreds under a few of the steps. The flagstone steps were moist underneath despite no irrigation in this area. I think the heat from the flagstone during the day is causing the condensation when it cools down overnight. Checked again today and there were still some springtails underneath. Sprayed again. Can't seem to kill them off. I'm thinking about replacing all the mulch with pea gravel. Here's a pic of what they look like in the pool.
20200520_173126.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.