What kind of algae is this and what should I do?

Glddstgpsy

Aug 11, 2020
Southern Wisconsin
I am a first year pool owner (came with our home we purchased in January this year). The pool is 30 foot round, 54" deep, and we just upgraded from a 19 inch filter to a new 24 inch filter with zeosand this year. We decided to convert it to saltwater, which has been absolutely fantastic... until we had a blockage in the basket near the pump (silly me, I didn't realize there is a skimmer basket to clean AND a pump basket). This greatly reduced the flow of water because it was clogged with cottonwood fuzzy stuff, which in turn caused the generator to not make chlorine, and we recently ended up with blobs of algae on the bottom of the pool (see attached photos). We tested the water using test strips, and had virtually no chlorine and high ph. We went to the pool store to ask for help, they told us to get 4 gallons of shock, 1 bottle of 60% algaecide, ph minus, a bottle of clarifier, and gave us an instruction sheet on how to get rid of algae.

We followed the instructions on the sheet and dumped the ph minus in there first (we have higher ph, same problem in our fish tanks, I think its our well water). Next, the instructions said to dump the algaecide in, then add shock, and said all three of these steps could be completed on the same day, which we did. The pool store said to add 2 gallons of shock for a pool our size. Then, the instructions said to wait 24-48 hours, and we had the filter running pretty much non-stop since then. However, mother nature brought in a storm that evening (2 days ago), and last night we also had a derecho come through. Lots of rainwater was added, and we lost power for a good 12 hours so the filter was not on. I checked this morning, and there is no change to the pool at all. I was instructed to wait until the algae turned grey, however it looks the same as it did before we added anything. I added the other 2 gallons of shock to the pool this morning.

I'm reaching out for help since I don't necessarily trust the pool store people. They tried telling us we should be adding a gallon of shock per week, even though we have a saltwater pool (isn't the purpose of having a saltwater pool to even out the chlorine, therefore you shouldn't need to shock it under normal operation?). Am I supposed to brush the algae so that it isn't sitting on the bottom? If I do that, doesn't the algae go into the filter and grow in there? I'm not sure what to do, nor am I sure what type of algae this is. What is weird is that the water is crystal clear, I can see straight to the bottom. And when I brush the algae blobs that are on the bottom, they turn the water greenish-brownish, but eventually it settles back down on the bottom again. How long do we wait until we can swim in there again? OH! One more thing... we do not have a vacuum. We had a pool robot that came with the house (not that it would vacuum up algae anyway), but the robot died so we need a new one. The pool store guy said we should get one again, but in the interim we could use the process above and the clarifier would clump all the dead algae together and bring it to the filter so we don't necessarily have to vacuum it this time.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 31
Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks! I have a couple of questions...

1. How do I know if my filter needs to be cleaned out? The SLAM instructions say 'as needed,' and we just installed our filter in June.
  2. Does it matter what type of vacuum we use for this process? Most of them run the stuff through the filter using the skimmer suction, right? Wouldn't this just dump the spores into the filter?
  3. I can use regular Clorox bleach (or generic equivalent) for the shock process? If so, how many gallons of this would you suggest purchasing? I'm not sure how much 5ppm FC is (1 gallon? 10 gallons?)
  4. Should I continue running the filter all the time until this is cleared up? Normally I have it on a timer so it runs 16 hours and is off for the rest.
Thanks!

1. Clean your filter when your filter pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.
2. Vacuum to the filter is fine. The SLAM level FC is in the filter too. There will be no live algae in the filter at SLAM level FC.
3. No Clorox, it has additives. Best is to find liquid chlorine. Walmart, Menards, Lowes, Home Depot carry it. Normally 10% or 12.5%.
4. During the SLAM Process, as shown in the article, it is best to run the pump 24 hours per day, if possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.