What is this type of minimal edge with no railing?

AmyJo

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Atlanta, GA and St Croix USVI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Per my previous post a couple of days ago, my husband and I are having to remodel our pool on our new home on St Croix USVI due to many issues. Having now researched infinity and zero edge pools over the past few days and talking to people on the island, I am now understanding these edges are both very bad ideas for a windy location high above sea level - which is the scenario for my house. The fact that we have not seen an infinity edge on a pool there should have been an indicator. Apparently they lose water quickly through evaporation and the constant trade winds play havoc with the water and the edge. Water is precious on the island and we are on the desert side.
We have noticed, however, that many St Croix pools sport a very minimal edge or coping, but cannot find reference to this online. Of course I understand the pool wall itself acts as a barrier, but what stops people from climbing onto it, or God forbid, walking on top of it? An angled edge? Our pool edge toward the ocean has a 18 foot drop and then a very steep hill. We are 300 feet above sea level. We are planning to cut off access to walk around the pool with planters or railings that block access to this edge. As for the edge I’m referencing, I will post a few photos below. We currently have a pool that is visually blocked by a wood and stucco railing and REALLY want to enjoy the ocean view while on the deck and in the pool.
The first photo is our pool (I have many more photos). Thank you for reading!
IMG_0646.jpeg
These are the minimal edge pools I’m seeing with no railings. Basically a coping width wide? Some are up fairly high. These are all pools on the island:
IMG_0585.jpeg
IMG_0590.jpeg

IMG_0580.jpegScreenshot 2023-05-01 at 6.42.33 PM.png

Nothing stops people from walking on edges like that other then common sense.

Amazing designs can be done with glass railings. All it takes is money.

There are designs that look stunning and are expensive to maintain. Doing pool maintenance and brushing on pool walls that are inaccessible from outside the pool will be a challenge.

We have a zero edge pool with no fence on the edge itself. You can see a photo on my profile banner. Like @ajw22 said, nothing physically keeps people from walking on it.

We have teenage boys, angled edges with wet tile do not deter them. I don’t think from a safety perspective coping is that much safer than zero edge without a fence.

Depending on the design, the safety issues can be mitigated, but not eliminated. In our case if someone walks on it and falls, they either go to the pool or into the catch basin, which in our case is about 3’ down. The ground from the basin is probably 7’ or so.

There’s obvious danger in someone falling into the catch basin (fairly narrow, not as deep, etc, could hit their head, etc). We do and are able to hop down to the basin to clean things though, which is a plus.

Have you considered using a clear acrylic panel? It could give you a similar effect to a vanishing edge without the added complexity of a catch basin.
We get constant wind, salt water and very harsh sun. We imagine it would require constant cleaning. Have you used before? If so what type/weight/thickness/brand?
Our neighbor has flat glass slats/pickets which does allow wind through, but glass + pool is scary. Still - a thought for sure. Thank you!

We have a zero edge pool with no fence on the edge itself. You can see a photo on my profile banner. Like @ajw22 said, nothing physically keeps people from walking on it.

We have teenage boys, angled edges with wet tile do not deter them. I don’t think from a safety perspective coping is that much safer than zero edge without a fence.

Depending on the design, the safety issues can be mitigated, but not eliminated. In our case if someone walks on it and falls, they either go to the pool or into the catch basin, which in our case is about 3’ down. The ground from the basin is probably 7’ or so.

There’s obvious danger in someone falling into the catch basin (fairly narrow, not as deep, etc, could hit their head, etc). We do and are able to hop down to the basin to clean things though, which is a plus.
Has anyone ever fallen? I’ve seen huge infinity pools on hotel rooftops. I wonder how they mitigate the danger? I guess a catch basin?
Thank you for your message. Definitely something I need to consider.

Oh - and beautiful pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Has anyone ever fallen? I’ve seen huge infinity pools on hotel rooftops. I wonder how they mitigate the danger? I guess a catch basin?
Thank you for your message. Definitely something I need to consider.
No. But nobody but the teenagers walk on it. :laughblue:

There’s a catch basin on the other side. The entire pool is only about 11’ off the ground. Below the catch basin is grass.

Reactions: AmyJo
We get constant wind, salt water and very harsh sun. We imagine it would require constant cleaning. Have you used before? If so what type/weight/thickness/brand?
Our neighbor has flat glass slats/pickets which does allow wind through, but glass + pool is scary. Still - a thought for sure. Thank you!
I have worked on projects with acrylic panels, but they were always installed by others. You could do away with the fence and the top 1'-2' of your pool wall and replace it with an acrylic panel. Engineering would be required, but relatively straightforward proposition.

Titan is who I have seen working with these the most:

I have worked on projects with acrylic panels, but they were always installed by others. You could do away with the fence and the top 1'-2' of your pool wall and replace it with an acrylic panel. Engineering would be required, but relatively straightforward proposition.

Titan is who I have seen working with these the most:

Thank you!! I started looking at glass panels today and this was great to see when I popped on here to search for glass/acrylic panels. I’ve written to them. Thank you so much!

Reactions: MAPR-Austin
From what I understand, here in the US, it would fall under typical building or residential code, IBC/IRC. The pool would be considered an elevated platform, same as an elevated porch. There would have to be at least 36" of barrier, which a 3' pool wall would suffice, but shallower or bench creating less than that on wall where someone could stand would not.

Reactions: AmyJo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.