What is this noise from the pump?

usfdan

Mar 21, 2016
Tampa, FL
Good morning,

My pump (Max-E-Pro 1.5HP) was installed October 2019 and started making the noise in the video linked below. Filter basket is full with water with a few tiny bubbles floating at the top, but those have been there for quite a while. No bubbles coming out of pool returns. Backwashed and refilled DE yesterday, no change. Took it to Pinch-a-Penny since it's still under warranty and they checked the inlet port for clogs, changed the cap (it didn't appear blown), and they hooked it up to their 110 and the pump ran smooth in the store (the pump is on a 240 breaker). Reinstalled pump and checked all wire connections and no change in noise. What could the issue be?

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3222.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Doesn't sound like a bearing or cavitation to me. Sounds more like something loose is vibrating in or near the electrical connections under the rear cover or a bonding wire that's close the the end cap of the motor.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

I removed the back cover and ran the pump, but the noise is still there. I also checked all electrical connections, including the bonding wire, and all are secure. I also pushed down on the pump to make sure it wasn't vibrating against the platform, but no luck.

With the back cover removed it's clear that the sound is coming from inside the pump from the motor. I'm going to have Pinch-a-Penny come out and take a look since it's still under warranty (still have the pay the $125 trip charge unfortunately).

Thanks,
Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.