What is this 2nd hole in my skimmer well?

Vesuvius

Bronze Supporter
Jan 30, 2023
St. Louis/MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My pool was winterized by the last (fired) pool guy with the hole on the left in the 1st photo plugged up and with an upside down bottle of antifreeze sticking in the hole on the right (and with antifreeze mostly filling the well). I had a guy show me how to "de-winterize" the pool the other day, as I'm taking over maintenance, and he unplugged the hole on the left (which turns out to be the skimmer suction line) and moved the plug to the hole on the right (see 2nd photo). I asked what the hole on the right is for and why it was left open for the winter but I didn't get a good answer.....he thought maybe a hydrostat line, but that doesn't make sense to me. Can someone explain what this is and why it should be left open in winter (or if that was a mistake and it should not)? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3178.jpg
    IMG_3178.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3183.jpg
    IMG_3183.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 13
Some skimmers have the option of connecting to the main drain. Most don't use this feature and the hole is plugged. Yours is probably plugged.

Reactions: Vesuvius
Could be but I figured it was not used due to the other hole having a winterizing plug installed.
I only looked at the first pic closely. The winterizing plug is nearest the skimmer opening into the pool. That is the port that is usually plumbed to the main drain.
The open port in the first pic looks like you can see the 90° elbow in it.

Thanks. If the one on the right connects to the main drain, shouldn't it be plugged up just like the skimmer line one on the left over the winter?

I suspect it is plugged.
Sorry, I'm very, very new to this equipment stuff--what does that mean? It's somehow blocked off inside the pipe? If so, wouldn't you still want to insert a winterizing plug to protect the pipe between the opening and the "interior" plug? Or am I completely misunderstanding? Thanks.

Sorry, I'm very, very new to this equipment stuff--what does that mean? It's somehow blocked off inside the pipe? If so, wouldn't you still want to insert a winterizing plug to protect the pipe between the opening and the "interior" plug? Or am I completely misunderstanding? Thanks.

When the skimmer is installed, that side is plugged. If the installer is going to connect it in with the main drain, then he'll remove the factory installed plug and plumb it in with the main drain. There usually is some more parts that go in the skimmer if they are going to tie this with the main drain. Flaps and diverters and such. You can stick a coathanger (or something long and flexible) down that hole and see where it goes. If it is plugged you'll only get a couple inches.

1716494171659.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When the skimmer is installed, that side is plugged. If the installer is going to connect it in with the main drain, then he'll remove the factory installed plug and plumb it in with the main drain. There usually is some more parts that go in the skimmer if they are going to tie this with the main drain. Flaps and diverters and such. You can stick a coathanger (or something long and flexible) down that hole and see where it goes. If it is plugged you'll only get a couple inches.

View attachment 575873
There's no hole in the wall right under the skimmer, so it's not an equalizer port. If there is a factory-installed plug a couple inches inside the right hole, why does it need to have a winterizing plug in-season? And why does it NOT need one over the winter (we get deep freezes here) to protect those couple inches of piping? Thanks.

There's no hole in the wall right under the skimmer, so it's not an equalizer port. If there is a factory-installed plug a couple inches inside the right hole, why does it need to have a winterizing plug in-season? And why does it NOT need one over the winter (we get deep freezes here) to protect those couple inches of piping? Thanks.

Who said this?

Who said this?
The guy who showed me how to de-winterize the pool put the winterizing plug in that hole. I'm trying to understand why it needs to have one in-season but not over the winter, as that makes no sense to me. I think you're saying it doesn't make sense either and that you put winterizing plugs in both of your's at end of season, yes?

The guy who showed me how to de-winterize the pool put the winterizing plug in that hole. I'm trying to understand why it needs to have one in-season but not over the winter, as that makes no sense to me. I think you're saying it doesn't make sense either and that you put winterizing plugs in both of your's at end of season, yes?

No - Mine is still factory sealed because it was never used. It doesn't get any special attention at all. Only the actual skimmer to pump hole gets a plug and is winterized. The other hole is totally ignored at all times.

He might have put it there so it doesn't get lost. The plug will degrade being underwater all the time though. Did you ever stick anything in that hole and see how far it goes?

He might have put it there so it doesn't get lost. The plug will degrade being underwater all the time though. Did you ever stick anything in that hole and see how far it goes?
Yeah, that wasn't it, as I have a bucket where he put all the other winterizing plugs that had been in the returns.

I didn't, as I was a little leary of pulling that plug out and allowing water to rush into it without knowing for certain where it's going. Figured I'd just leave it as-is for now and check it out when I drain and winterize this fall.