What is the equivalent replacement pump but VSP?

Sonosite

Apr 23, 2021
Southlake, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I want to get a backup variable speed pump ready in storage when my main pump finally fails. I am comfortable with replumbing PVC. However, I don't know what Hayward single-speed pump model I have and I am confused by the HP. The main label says 2.0 HP but the side label says 2.4 HP. I have a 25,000 gallon in-ground, non-SWG pool/spa with a Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter C5025. The inflow PVC appears to be 2" and the outflow PVC also appears to be 2".

Any advice on which VSP model to get and how much HP is actually needed? If it helps, kinda tired of the high prices of Hayward/Pentair and am skeptical if they are worth the price compared to lower-priced manufacturers (eg, Black & Decker). Are Hayward/Pentair worth the premium price? Thanks.

Attachments

• main_pump.jpg
    main_pump.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Son,

VS pump come in two basic sizes. A 1.5 HP and a 3 HP.. I suggest that you get the 3 HP, as the larger the pump, the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water.

It looks like you have an automation system, if so, you need to get a VS pump that your automation can control. Brands are not generally interchangeable.

I don't share your skepticism about brand names being better. I think in almost every case, you get what you pay for.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Sonosite
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.