What is different about a pool specific light bulb?

Who?

Aug 18, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
New pool owner here. Pool light bulb is burned out. It was a 500W 120V incandescent. Before I go buy new bulb I was wondering what makes a bulb with "pool and spa" written on it different? It visually appears pretty standard. Could I swap in an outdoor halogen flood lamp that I have lying around? I suspect the answer is no, but curiosity has me asking this question. Thanks!

I’m surprised you have 500watt floodlight bulbs just “lying around”. They just aren’t very common. If you want to replace it with something else, here is what I used. LED floodlight only 55watt draw and extremely bright, and it is designed for use in a pool fixture.i can’t speak as to its longevity, since I’ve only had it in place for a month or so. When you replace a pool bulb, be sure to use a new gasket.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G135QN/?coliid=I3I7WEB10ACO1J&colid=3FNCU5YI2QIX2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.