What is Brominating Concentrate

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I just ran out of a product called "Bromine Start" which is 99% sodium bromide. I use it to establish a bromine reserve when I drain and refill.

I have a pretty good supply of something called "Brominating Concentrate", which is 82.5% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione and 14.7% sodium bromide. On the bottle it says it is a "one-step sanitizer and oxidizer."

Can I use this to establish a bromine reserve the next time I refill, or should I spend the money and get more of the Bromine Start?

The combination of dichlor and sodium bromide is equivalent to having a bromide bank and then adding bleach to oxidize the bromide into bromine. You can build up a reserve with that product but it will take longer as you are obviously only going to be able to add a smaller amount or else your sanitizer levels will be too high. Honestly it would just be better to find a source of granular sodium bromide (Leslie's sells a 4 lb bottle of it here - Leslie's 14130 Sodium Bromide- 4 lbs.) and use bleach to activate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.