What is behind the Hayward 1085 inground pool skimmer face plate?

DennyR

Sep 25, 2023
Smiths Station, Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I suspect I have had a leak in both of my skimmers for some time now. I rent this house with no pool help from landlord , so I am learning on the fly.
Yesterday, I removed the face plate from the shallow end skimmer. The gasket behind the face plate literally came off in pieces. Now, behind that gasket, of course,
is the pool liner. Here comes my question. On the back side of the pool liner is what looks like may have been a gasket, I am not sure. I am having to carefully scrape it off
in pieces. It looks like deteriorated cardboard. Behind that, it looks like a metal frame with a panhead screw in the middle at the top. It is right next to the skimmer throat face. It appears
to be heavily rusted and I am not sure if I can even remove it without breaking something. Any ideas on what I am looking at would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks.

See if the attached manual helps you understand the buildup you are looking at.

1695678678649.png

Attachments

• sp1085-installation-manual.pdf
    167.9 KB · Views: 2
See if the attached manual helps you understand the buildup you are looking at.

View attachment 532493
Thank you for your reply ajw22. I have seen that illustration before. I think what may be confusing me is the standard wall panel in the illustration. I will try to post some photos when I get home today and maybe you can see what I am seeing. I think the order of mine is faceplate, faceplate gasket, vinyl liner, and then another gasket. I don't know if there is a wall panel. If there is I am not seeing it. Photos later this evening. Thanks again ajw22.

Installers do not always follow the installation manuals sequence of layers.

As built is often not as designed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.