What is an acceptable level of salt to keep my copper pipes safe?

Apr 30, 2017
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

When I got the pool redone many years ago, I was told by the contractor that going to SWG (salt) approach was not an option for me because my main drain pipe is a large copper pipe and the salt would destroy it over time. I have recently moved to using liquid chlorine which has the side effect of adding salt to the pool and want to make sure that the levels are safe for the pipe and won't corrode and crumble it down. What is an acceptable salt level for older copper pipes?

Thanks

All pools are salt water pools so I just love the older "pool people" not understanding or knowing that.. Your PH has WAY more to do with copper being affected than salt or TDS... I would say letting your pool get algae has about the same effect of your copper pipe as salt does.. Almost all heaters used to be copper and we still recommend getting copper heat exchangers instead of the more expensive one as they are lasting 20 years or more...
You can also shut off or limit your main drain and slow down any corrosion of it.. The next time you get the pool plaster redone just close off the main drain as you do not need it..

If you want I would move to a SWG and call it a day :)

1628244652461.png

All pools are salt water pools so I just love the older "pool people" not understanding or knowing that.. Your PH has WAY more to do with copper being affected than salt or TDS... I would say letting your pool get algae has about the same effect of your copper pipe as salt does.. Almost all heaters used to be copper and we still recommend getting copper heat exchangers instead of the more expensive one as they are lasting 20 years or more...
You can also shut off or limit your main drain and slow down any corrosion of it.. The next time you get the pool plaster redone just close off the main drain as you do not need it..

If you want I would move to a SWG and call it a day :)

View attachment 362007
I also have pavers around the pool that would take a hit from the high salt content (again contractor recomended against it for that). My pH has always been well within range (7.4-8.0) so that shouldn't be a problem. This list is pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.

A couple facts......

Salt level of (many) non "saltwater" pool: 1-2 ppt
Salt level of "saltwater pool": 2-3 ppt
Salt level of the Ocean: 35 ppt

Reactions: ti_chris
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.