What is a safe amount of chlorine to swim in after shocking?

SCpoolOwner

Active member
May 2, 2008
35
I'm getting ready to shock my pool due to lingering small algae clusters I keep getting every other day. I have several small children that swim in our pool and I wanted to know what is the highest amount of chlorine (in PPM) that is safe for kids to swim in?

Thanks!
 

93mastercraft

Well-known member
Apr 27, 2009
55
Raleigh, NC
3 - 5PPM is the standard. But it depends on how high your CYA is. You should check out the pool school here. There is a chart for FC levels based on CYA levels. I run about 8 - 12PPM as a standard in my pool. But that is with a CYA level off 100PPM.
 

SCpoolOwner

Active member
May 2, 2008
35
I'm running about 40PPM for my CYA. Which is a minimum of 3 PPM, target of 5 PPM and a shock value of 16 PPM. After shocking it, does it need to get back down to 5 PPM before letting the kids back in? Or can it be higher?
 

93mastercraft

Well-known member
Apr 27, 2009
55
Raleigh, NC
frustratedpoolmom said:
It's perfectly safe to swim up to shock level :)
I agree... as long as your pool is clean and clear, the chlorine at shock level will not hurt you or the kids! The Free chlorine will dissipate away pretty quickly when the sun is baring down and you are swimming in the pool.
 

SCpoolOwner

Active member
May 2, 2008
35
Thanks for the information! My pool has been in the shock process for three days and I'm slowly beating the algae but the kids are starting to get anxious. Oh well, everything should be good in a couple of more days.
 

waskydiver

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
191
What do you normally keep your chlorine at?

If you are keeping it at recomended levels for your CYA, and you are getting pockets of algae every other day, something is wrong.

And, remember, you are done shocking only when your overnight chlorine loss is less than 1ppm.
 

SCpoolOwner

Active member
May 2, 2008
35
waskydiver said:
What do you normally keep your chlorine at?

If you are keeping it at recomended levels for your CYA, and you are getting pockets of algae every other day, something is wrong.

And, remember, you are done shocking only when your overnight chlorine loss is less than 1ppm.
Thanks for the post!

The chlorine is normally at 3-5PPM (3 before I put chlorine in, 5 after) but about two weeks ago I was out of town for a few days and someone was suppose to add chlorine but didn't. When I returned I had 0 chlorine. I didn't shock then and the algae slowly creeped up on me since I didn't shock. So last weekend it got to the point where I would have algae on the pool floor. It's nothing bad but enough to become a bigger problem. Also, the chlorine is dropping more than 1PPM nightly (it's closer to 3PPM).
 

257WbyMag

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
5,061
Denton, TX
Continue shocking your pool at an FC of 16, running the filter 24/7, and brushing. Make sure it is at shock level before you go to bed at night and check it again in the morning before any sun hits the water. If your FC loss is > 1 ppm overnight, continue shocking at the full 16 ppm, full-time, until the FC holds over night.
 

Other Threads of Interest