What is a normal level of chlorine loss?

Hot down here around S.A. too. A loss of 4 ppm is right on the bubble. Depends on how much swimmers and/or any other potential stress has been on the water. If in doubt, it may be a good idea to run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to be sure algae is out of the equation.

Reactions: SunkissedByTheSea
does a higher CYA lead to lower rates of chlorine loss?
Ideally speaking - it can. More UV protection less/slower FC loss. However that comes with a price. The ratio of Free Chlorine to CYA is designed to maximize efficiency, ensure sanitation. As you noted, if a SLAM is required, the SLAM-Shock level becomes much higher. Here in TX, much like So Cal, AZ, So NV, it's not uncommon to use a higher CYA than other locations, but we keep the FC balanced per the FC/CYA Levels for that very reason - to avoid algae. Below are some previous discussion. To make sure I didn't misquote something, I'll ask @Donldson for a sanity check.

Reactions: SunkissedByTheSea
To make sure I didn't misquote something, I'll ask @Donldson for a sanity check.
The last thing I should be used for is a sanity check :sneaky:

So as you increase CYA you decrease the percentage of chlorine burnoff, but as you increase CYA you increase the required chlorine. So eventually as you raise CYA you end up losing more chlorine because you need so much to maintain sanitation. The FC/CYA Levels finds the sweet spot where losses are at a minimum. For manually chlorinated pools, that level is around 50. Since SWG pools have a lower FC requirement that means the sweet spot is higher, around 70. Caveat here that different areas and different pools can benefit from adjusting the CYA level up or down to find the best sweet spot for their pool. While the FC/CYA ratio works as well here in Ohio as down in Texas, the specific CYA level to maintain that sweet spot may vary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.