What have you found in the skimmer basket?

Yeah, I should probably clean out the skimmer basket tomorrow. It's been so warm lately that I'd bet there's a tarantula or scorpion in there. And we'll be getting close to desert toad mating season...that lovely time of the year when all the toads in Tucson treat my pool like the Amsterdam Red-Light district...yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a biggun. We have lots of frogs and toads. The worst are the kamikaze snails, hundreds of them every time it rains. The most fun is always the occasional water moccasin from the creek. :shock:

I checked my skimmer today and replaced the hairnet....got nothing. Just a bunch of leaves and couple of decaying bugs....so disappointing....

BIG BIG Wolf spiders. Some 3 inches across. One bit me last summer while sticking my hand in the skimmer to pull out the basket. Needless to say I use a hook to lift it out now!

Have always had a hook (tent stake actually). But.....also know someone here that got surprised by a snake curled up on the underside of the lid when she lifted it. We hooks for that too :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So far, in the short life of ours, Ive had mice, toads, scorpions, hundreds of June bugs and all other kinds.

This year is a new one as there are loads of small black Caterpillars. Anyone know what this fortells of the coming season?

I checked my skimmer today and replaced the hairnet....got nothing. Just a bunch of leaves and couple of decaying bugs....so disappointing....

What were you hoping for, a Mojave Rattler? :jocolor:

I am so not looking forward to this aspect of pool maintenance. I saw something about using the hairnet. Could someone post how that looks when you install it in the basket? I'm not sure if you are just throwing it in there or if you are stretching it across or around or what. Also, I am ordering the TF-100 starter kit with the brush head and the angel skimmer basket helper thing. What does this device do? Is it just a hook or is it a liner? I'm just now coming to a basic understanding of what the skimmer does and how you access it, how it looks inside, and how to maintain. I've actually never even looked in one, but I've seen a few in pics from the site.

Crystal

As far as the hairnet, you stretch the elastic around the rim and let the bulk of the net fall into the skimmer basket. If you buy the cheap disposable kind, when they have a bunch of stuff in there just toss 'em and replace with a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

The first post in this thread shows it fairly well. Ignore the amphibian. :)

hmmm....so how often should you check the skimmers? Seems like the spiders and medium sized debris are just gonna run right off the sides and end up down in the hole? I am just not getting this...I know it will be more clear when I can actually work with it. I have two skimmers...one in the shallow end and one in the deep end. I am thinking the hair net would be good for hair...lol...I have 4 grand daughters all with long hair and have long hair myself.

ok...that makes sense...it looked kinda tight in the photo and not really so deep...I'm not sure how deep a skimmer basket actually is....seems like I saw a video of one being pulled out and it was deeper than what I would think a hair net would go...but I guess the hair net doesn't have to go all the way down into the basket. I like the idea and will at least give hair nets a shot. It seems convenient to just slide it off and trash it. Thanks for the info!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.