what happens to my CYA?

Sep 25, 2012
Dunedin, FL
I bought this house several years ago, with a green pool. Cleaned up nice. Been a member since then. I remember reading the stabilizer doesn't disappear...
well, how do I prove to you guys that IT DOES in my pool!
Saltwater with SWG. Its keep about 5ppm FC

At least twice a year the CYA disappears and I have to go out and buy more.

Didn't I read it doesn't evaporate? Ive even gone to the pool store several times as a check to confirm.

Last readings:
Temp 86F
FC: about 5
ph:7.6
CH:275
TA:80
CYA:0 I boost it back up to 60-80 several times a season.

I use the TF-100 kit.

I check FC/Ph daily, CYA when I notice I have to add chlorine daily. Drops to zero every couple months.

-Alan

btw, this is my third season with exact same thing happening. pool store says the heavy rain in florida but, if I dont pump it out and it slowly goes back normal levels... the CYA levels still drop!
Has their been any consensus on this missing CYA over the years?

Do a bucket test to check your pool for leaks. CYA does not disappear. It will breakdown at a slow rate from chlorine oxidation but that's only at most 5ppm/month (EDIT - under typical circumstances END-EDIT). So, excluding measurement error, the only way it leaves your pool is through a leak.

Thats what I had heard, Ive done several bucket tests and even had a pool leak company comes out and check for leaks...twice in the past year.
I use a TFT test kit and actually measure 60-80 after I dump a couple pounds of stabilizer in the pool. Test kit works. CYA does disappear in a couple months.
Even if you don't believe me.
I have to ADD 4-5 lbs several times a season. (season is year round here)

...what I was trying to find out if anything has changed (re: CYA doesn't disappear, believe me it can... under certain conditions anyhow) maybe somebody discovered something in the last few years.
Additional hints, I do have black spots I have been fighting the last few years. I have slammed (they scrape off as green so, I'm assuming black algae) that takes care of it for awhile. Seems to come back every year thou. These always showup in pitted area of the pebbletech finish.
Can black algae eat CYA? Can pitted areas expose something in the finish that eats CYA?
Yea after year, Im hoping it doesnt come down acid wash or new re-finish! Its frustrating.

See if this link sheds some light on your predicament. My own pool seems to lose CYA aggressively during the hot, intense sun, summer months (approaching 10ppm/month) but not all year round. During the majority of the year, my CYA is quite stable and doesn't change.

Degradation of Cyanuric Acid (CYA)

Yes thanks Matt. Some insight, maybe Im dropping like 10 a month? I just noticed it twice a year when the clorine level doesnt hold. Guess Ill have to run CYA checks and try to find out what it's actually doing. Dont think its my imagination! Thanks guys, if I ever see a pattern, Ill post back. -Alan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes thanks Matt. Some insight, maybe Im dropping like 10 a month? I just noticed it twice a year when the clorine level doesnt hold. Guess Ill have to run CYA checks and try to find out what it's actually doing. Dont think its my imagination! Thanks guys, if I ever see a pattern, Ill post back. -Alan

Well, if you could check your CYA once per month including any additions from granular stabilizer or trichlor/dichlor use then maybe we can establish a pattern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.