Gold Supporter
Jul 25, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi everyone - thanks in advance for your help!

For #1 in the picture -- I think that this is the motor for the robot vacuum that we no longer use. Is it doing any harm by staying there unused? If it needs to be pulled out, is that a DIY job (I can follow basic instructions and I'm willing to try, but I don't have any expertise in this area). Can we hook up the pipe so that the return that used to have the robot vacuum can be turned into a regular jet? Are there any other options for what we can use that return for? Right now, the return is open and there's a pitiful amount of water coming out of it.

For #2 in the picture -- what does this pipe lead to? My pool has 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns, and 1 pitiful hole where the robot vacuum used to be.

Thank you all!!Pool pipe layout.jpg

#1 is the booster pump for the pressure side pool cleaner you no longer use. You can leave it the way it is and some return water will flow through it.

#2 is another return water pipe that is before the chlorinator. My WAG would be it feeds some water feature.

I would take #1, and the pump, entirely out of the pad setup if it's not used. A simple method would be to cut the PVC between the 4-way and the 45 degree elbow and just glue a cap on it there, but if you want to use that hole as a return you would just need to plumb from that 4 way to the pipe where it goes into the ground. Not hard if you have some experience working with PVC.

For #2, just close the valve and see which water return stops flowing in the pool. It will be one (or more) of the returns or a feature like Allen mentions.

If you re-pipe from the 4 way to the return line into the ground, make sure you cut below the coupler coming out of the ground. The way it is now, the line is a lot smaller because of the booster pump hoses. Cutting it and putting a new coupler will make the pipe bigger like the rest of your plumbing and you shouldn't have that "pitiful" return as you like to call it. :)

If you re-pipe from the 4 way to the return line into the ground, make sure you cut below the coupler coming out of the ground. The way it is now, the line is a lot smaller because of the booster pump hoses. Cutting it and putting a new coupler will make the pipe bigger like the rest of your plumbing and you shouldn't have that "pitiful" return as you like to call it. :)

Note that the pressure pump return is before the SWG. Getting a big flow through the pressure pump pipe can create a low flow situation for the SWG.

The return flow is being split 3 ways and only one of the legs has the chlorinator.

It is working as is right now. Starting to make changes needs some planning and possibly relocation of the SWG to before the 3 way split.

Reactions: Momma4
ajw22 is right, that may create an issue. Looking at your plumbing, it would be very easy to move your SWG before the 4 way and re-pipe the loop that goes to the ball valve in front of the pump without much trouble. You have plenty of pipe to cut into so it shouldn't be difficult at all if you're comfortable cutting and gluing pvc. The parts (couplers and pipe) should cost you under $10.

Do we get to see any pics from the finished product?? We love pics!!!
Well, right now I'm backing off clearing this out myself -- I don't really have enough knowledge to remove the pump with the electrical hook up too. Since it's really not broke, we may just wait and have whoever take it out the next time we need something serviced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.