What do I put under my pool?

Finley

Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
I have been using this forum search and Google to understand my options, but I wanted to see what you recommend for my pool and my situation.

My pool: I want to get a round Intex Ultra or Intex Ultra XTR.

My yard: Flat, with grass.

My options: Putting it on the grass, using sand, or buying a commercial pad. Are there any commercial pads that are self levelling? If I use sand, do I still have to level the ground? My yard is flat, do I still have to make sure it's perfectly level? My goal is to be able to put the pool up easily without having to dig around in my yard.

Do I need something like a gorilla pad in addition to my ground protection, or no?

I live in Massachusetts so it's probably best that I take the pool down in winter, right? Does anyone leave theirs up? I don't want it to buckle under the weight of the snow.

Edit: After some more research and YouTube I'm sort of considering an Easy Set now. So much to think about.

Last edited:
Leveling is the most important part of putting up a pool. The ground has to be leveled by digging out the high spots to be level with the low spots. Sand is used for a cushion under the pool, not to level. It can wash out. The legs of the pool should be placed on something solid, like concrete pavers. They can sink if you just sit them on the ground. Under the pool you can put sand, a tarp, extruded polystyrene foam sheets. I've used both sand and foam on two different set ups. I leveled the ground, put down sand and leveled that, tarp on top then pool. The other was the same but used the foam instead of the sand. It's a lot of work, tbh. (But worth it, imo) I used a tiller to remove the top layer of grass and then a shovel and a level taped to a straight 10 foot 2x6.

I know you edited to say you may get an easy set, but I still replied to give you info while you decide. Good luck!

Leveling is the most important part of putting up a pool. The ground has to be leveled by digging out the high spots to be level with the low spots. Sand is used for a cushion under the pool, not to level. It can wash out. The legs of the pool should be placed on something solid, like concrete pavers. They can sink if you just sit them on the ground. Under the pool you can put sand, a tarp, extruded polystyrene foam sheets. I've used both sand and foam on two different set ups. I leveled the ground, put down sand and leveled that, tarp on top then pool. The other was the same but used the foam instead of the sand. It's a lot of work, tbh. (But worth it, imo) I used a tiller to remove the top layer of grass and then a shovel and a level taped to a straight 10 foot 2x6.

I know you edited to say you may get an easy set, but I still replied to give you info while you decide. Good luck!

Thank you very much! I will look up some YouTube videos about how to level. I won't have to level an easy set, will I?

I won't have to level an easy set, will I?
Short answer --- YES
Long answer - I've owned two of them in the past, first year i had no idea about leveling the ground so had a couple of inches of slope, struggled with that easyset all summer, every time the kids would push down on the low side we would end up with a flood in the yard.
What an easyset will get you is no need to ensure you put pavers under legs and that they are also level to each other.

I doesn't change the need to actually level the ground the pool is sitting on ... the better you level the better your experience will be.

We will put up an intex ultra rectangular pool, and I have planned these steps:

1) Remove the grass and top layer of soil, about 5-8 cm (2 guys with shovels and beer, piece of cake)
2) Put fine grain sand to level off, and pack it dense by using a ground vibrator.
3) Add sheets of xps styrofoam insulation (sometimes it gets cold here in Sweden even during summer), 3 cm thick. Fix it together using ducktape
4) Add a green "grasslike" soft carpet on top of everything. The thing u put on balconies and verandas
5) Add square stones on premarked places to suppoer the legs. For the stones we only plan to remove grass, and leave them on the (quite dense) top soil/clay. Hopefully they should level with the green carpet, that is the plan. We will glue on some grass carpet on the square stones to make them blend into the lawn better.

Done!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.