What did you do to your pool today?

With a water temp of 73, outside temp 78 it's not quite warm enough to get in the pool yet. My water is clear but dull, and I know why. Today I sucked it up, grabbed the goggles and brushed the area under the wedding cake steps.20240526_153541.jpg20240526_153530.jpg

I added a gallon of bleach this morning. Yesterday evening after testing FC at 3.5 ppm, I looked at the salt cell. The temperature sensor in the flow switch is no longer working so the SWG is not producing chlorine. FC still tested 3.5 ppm this morning so I headed out to Walmart for some bleach. I knew Lowes had a 110 date and was more expensive. At Walmart, I loaded up the cart with 6 gallons of bleach with a 122 date. As I was headed to the register, I found a pile of bleach in boxes with a 137 date. Score! Only 11 days old. I added a gallon to the pool and waited one hour. FC read 8.5 pmm which is what I expected. Nice to see the tests match PoolMath calculations.

The new flow switch won't be here until Friday at the earliest. Daily bleach additions and testing will remind me how much I love my SWG.

Last edited:
First rule of thumb, throw any supplied screws into the garbage as they are Crud made in china that will strip, step 2 proceed to ACE Hardware and buy quality screws. I abide by this every time I buy something that has screws no, it has saved me aggravation and my wife hearing me cursing while I'm on a ladder.
It was not the screws, but the aluminum pipe that stripped out, which makes sense.

Opened the pool this weekend. This is a new one, that replaced the old one, last October.

Basically I had the new pool put up, then I filled it, added a bunch of bleach (3 - 4 gallons if I recall) and then closed the pool.

Opened to a little bit of chlorine, and a layer of fine crud on the bottom.

Added 440 lbs of salt

Added 7 lbs of stabilizer (which I had to search everywhere for, and eventually ordered on line)

Added 3 gallons of bleach, just to get things going.

Had to move electric and re-plumb the filter, since the new pool has the skimmer and return in a different position

Everything is now clear, and the SWG is starting to believe it has enough salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First, I verified @SirNoSplashing was nowhere to be found as I am a gracious host.

Then I tested the diving board to ensure compliance with ANSI # Cgnn0n.8A11 standards. Twice, for redundancy. Safety is rule #1. I take no joy in being thorough.
Is that the cannonball splash zone?

Reactions: newdude
First, I verified @SirNoSplashing was nowhere to be found as I am a gracious host.

Then I tested the diving board to ensure compliance with ANSI # Cgnn0n.8A11 standards. Twice, for redundancy. Safety is rule #1. I take no joy in being thorough.

View attachment 578148
Gonna need a fire pit with those extra pavers back by the shed!!

• Love
Reactions: newdude
One thing nice about the SWG being out of action and having to add chlorine bleach. Since it is the only way chlorine is being added, I know how much I'm losing each day. It has been consistent the last two days. The pool loses 3.5 ppm per day.
Curious, What’s your cya?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support