What did you do to your pool today?

Got 10 jugs of 10% liquid chlorine from Wal-Mart today! The main shelf was picked clean, so hubby Mike had to get down on his hands and knees to get these from the back of the bottom shelf. There must be a LOT of TFPers in and around Bremen, GA! That's good, but dang, people, don't be greedy!

Had a minor mutiny, Mike didn't want to be the pool guy anymore. Which is fair, he doesn't use it. So son Patrick and I are sharing the testing duties. I test in the morning if slamming, and vac and skim because I'm usually up at an ungodly hour anyway, and he does evening chores like testing, brushing, and another vac.

I haven't been able to hobble out to the pool until very recently, so this is still a challenge for me! But I got out there about 6:45 this morning, tested, added LC from our 10% hoard, then came back in, took my pain meds, and now I'm waiting to get sleepy.

Productive morning.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Replaced my Hayward T-cell-3 salt cell for the first time. Also finally got around to replacing the water temp sensor that's been shorted out for years. No more dummy light!
For any future googlers, I noticed my salt level readings were wayyy off (0400 ppm vs 3300 ppm) and amperage was crazy low. Not sure how many years it was used or how the pool was maintained (neighbors say not well) before we moved here. But the thing gave us four summers of fun... $329 to replace seems like a deal.

Not exactly today but...
Saturday I finished installing the new liner. I also invented a tool to help get a beaded liner in the bead. Saturday night I started filling the pool.
Tiuesday I started adding chlorine and stabilizer.
Wednesday I started correcting the pH - it was very low.
Yesterday I cut the holes and installed the return and skimmer in the new liner. I also changed some of the plumbing that I didn't like from the first time I did it and got the pump and SWG plumbed in. I continued with raising pH and added a sequestrant to fix the discoloured water.
Today I finished filling the pool, made sure there were no leaks and turned the pump on. Testing showed not much drop in chlorine overnight, so that's good.

Took a dip for the first time in a week after mowing the back lawn. There was a chipmunk in the water and I proceeded to put a kink in the skimmer pole as I was flinging it into the woods.

Guess I'm going to OSJL for a new pole.

Get a ProTuff pole. They are heavy and expensive but I think I could use it for both jousting and pole vaulting if necessary. This thing is SOLID.
Thanks for the rec. It's my own fault. The Pole was fully extended and I was holding the end. Not to mention over-heated and Hangry. I just wanted to dive in. Waterlogged chipmunks are heavier than one would think.

Cleaned up the deck. Heater is on, working like a charm. Gaining on the average 5 ° / day. A week ago the water was 60°F. Now 82F. Monday Tuesday it's going to be close to 87°F outside, so we should be close to 90°F in the pool by then

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With all the rain we’ve had, I added salt and CYA for the 2nd time already this season. Based on a tip from this forum, I had let my TA drift down to help stabilize pH, but I finally had to raise it up a little due to low CSI. Also added calcium chloride to increase CH for the first time since our pool was built 14 years ago. It’s now raining again. ☹️

With all the rain we’ve had, I added salt and CYA for the 2nd time already this season. Based on a tip from this forum, I had let my TA drift down to help stabilize pH, but I finally had to raise it up a little due to low CSI. Also added calcium chloride to increase CH for the first time since our pool was built 14 years ago. It’s now raining again. ☹️
Raining every day here in Mansfield, too. Already blasted through my supply of CYA and Calcium. Haven’t had to fill the pool yet, though!

Reactions: jark87
Looked like there were very fine particulates floating in the water. I could still see the main drain in detail, but I wanted to get out in front of any potential algae before the weekend. I added 3x my normal daily maintenance dose of chlorine.

Sadly, we're now WOP's (without pool). We have a poor substitute community pool for our temporary town home but it's pretty sad. I have my test kit but I'm scared to use it. Better just to take a good shower after swimming and keep my mouth closed in the pool. Bright side of this is that I'm starting design of our new pool now that I have the house design pretty far along.

Chris

Summer has hit with a vengeance! Left Texas with temps in the 80s to spend time with our grandson in Seattle, where we had weather in the 60s and 70s. Came home to 100s! Water temp was mid-70s when we left and now 87°. Got the chiller running for the first time this year, which is the latest I’ve started it. It will now run until late September.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support