What did you do to your pool today?

Ran a full set of tests yesterday. With all the rain we've had recently I think we've probably replaced 3/4 of the pool water with rainwater. I haven't worried about it much until this week when temperatures started rising. I was not surprised to find that the FC was 0; CYA was 20; PH was 6.8 and salt was 2200. I added 5 lbs of stabilizer which was all I had; 40 lbs of salt and a container of PH Up. I didn't have any liquid bleach but we had some MaxBlue chlorinating granules left over from the previous owner and since everything was low I felt safe tossing some of that in the water as well. We brushed walls and floors and then threw the robot in for about 3 hours. Water temp is 65* and about 2 hours later I checked the chemicals again and everything is up enough that I feel safer about keeping the pool from turning green. I'll get more salt and stabilizer today and get things back in order before the temps rise enough to swim. Overall, I felt really good about how we overwintered with the pool again this year. Thanks TFP!

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Opened over the last few days. Pool was spotless last night. Then we had a gulleywasher last night. The haze in the picture is from the zooming and gray overcast, focus the 1000-odd worms. They must have been cooped up too long and all escaped at the same time. They were still committing suicide as I watched. They would slowly hang over the edge, then, ...plop. Robot will get a tasty meal or two today!

Compared to right after I pulled the cover.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
Replaced the pump basket gasket I was getting a slight leak causing the pump basket to drain :cheers:
Nice easy fix! Last year it was the o-ring on the filter causing the same thing for me.

Went out and looked at the water. It's black and horrible. Add to that a lovely layer of pollen, and you have What Happens When You Don't Anchor Your Tarp Very Well. Yuck. :sick:??

Gonna drain it tomorrow, set up the ladder so I can get in, then scrub everywhere and everything in sight. Let that run out the drain hole with a hose attached. Rinse really well, then fill. Bring CYA to 30, then raise FC to 12 until I pass OCLT.

Then wait til it's warm enough to get in -- that should be about 80 degrees F or so! And if the weather keeps doing what it's doing (summer like temps), that shouldn't be long!

Tested the water:
FC: 8
CC:0
pH: 7.5
TA: 70
CYA: 70
Salt: 3200
Water Temp: 72*
Replaced cartridges in filter with brand new and cleaned old ones
Treated weeds at fence line with vinegar solution
Threw ducky thermometer in followed by the humans
Perfect day to isolate from society20200328_234233.jpg

At this moment... nothing. I have a pool liner in limbo but recieved all other packages and supplies. Not sure when I'm going to be able to open due to CoVid19. I'm just going to wait it out n live the pool life through you guys n gals. Stay safe!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Opened on Monday, and that is (by far) the earliest I have ever opened the pool here just north of KC. Water is only 56 degrees, so won't be in it for a while, but I have it cleaned, and ready to go. I think the chemistry is in good shape, but I am going to take some water in to have it double checked. Got my new salt cell in the mail today, so I will install that this weekend (after this stupid freeze that's coming through). Trying to decide if we should turn the heater on Sunday for an 80 degree day coming on Tuesday...….tempting.

Got all the crud off the winter cover. Did another check on the iceberg under the cover and it's almost gone! I think we could've removed the winter cover without risk to the liner, but we have a cold snap coming through, so I think I'll leave it on until next week when it looks like we'll be back to no more below freezing temperatures overnight.

Working on getting my TA down. With a starting point of 130 and a goal of 60-70, this is going to take gallons of acid and days of aeration. Having 50 ppm borates just makes it that much more difficult.

Sucks to have high calcium, alkaline water, but I guess it’s better than some folks up north, starting their seasons out with murky green water.

Opened over the last few days. Pool was spotless last night. Then we had a gulleywasher last night. The haze in the picture is from the zooming and gray overcast, focus the 1000-odd worms. They must have been cooped up too long and all escaped at the same time. They were still committing suicide as I watched. They would slowly hang over the edge, then, ...plop. Robot will get a tasty meal or two today!

Compared to right after I pulled the cover.

Dude that is nuts!,,

• Wow
Reactions: Casey and bmoreswim
Waiting on a replacement solar blanket, but we were so tired of the house and with the temps in the 80's, I kicked on the heater on Sunday to bring the pool up from 69 to around 84 and had a great swim with the fam. The previous weekend, I replaced the autofill float and adjusted the water level (I'd been fighting a slowly leaking autofill for six months and I was over it) and started scrubbing a little calcium buildup off of the tiles. That will be an ongoing fight this season due to the increased CH levels from our hard water. Looks like I'll be due for another drain/refill next spring.

I finally dug out a bush-bed to support some privacy hedges I planted two years ago that have been struggling with moisture retention in our heat, and then mulched the entire bed. Hopefully that will help with keeping the ground more moist and the bushes happier - my irrigation system bit the dust for good year before last, so I suppose my fall/winter job will be laying all new piping, drip lines, replacing the in-ground valve, basically nearly a full refresh. Maybe I'll add a new zone for the back yard - the original owner only put in a single zone for everything combined and the yard is WAY too big for that.

Started to drain the cover yesterday. Shut it off last night n plugged it back in this morning. I'll be tracking the weather to see when I can start the pool drain for liner replacement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support