What did you do to your pool today?

Swim!! Pool back up to 82 today!!

DMKTWyvl.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh :( After several nights straight of mid-60's temperatures, my pool water was 72F this morning...I'll get about a 5F increase over the day and maybe add another 2-3F with the gas heater but, without a cover, it looks like the swim season is over for us...

I may deploy the liquid cover stuff I have tonight to see if that helps any...

Yep Matt, I put the bubble cover on yesterday, since we have water aerobics today. Water temp this am was 84. We may get two more degrees from the solar system, if the sun gets bright. It’s that time when, if you want to keep using the pool, you are dragging a cover on and off. I usually keep it up for at least another month or so. Sometimes until Thanksgiving, before I give up.

It eventually gets to a point where the air temp is so cool, I have no desire to swim. That’s where the hot tub comes in.

Yep Matt, I put the bubble cover on yesterday, since we have water aerobics today. Water temp this am was 84. We may get two more degrees from the solar system, if the sun gets bright. It’s that time when, if you want to keep using the pool, you are dragging a cover on and off. I usually keep it up for at least another month or so. Sometimes until Thanksgiving, before I give up.

It eventually gets to a point where the air temp is so cool, I have no desire to swim. That’s where the hot tub comes in.

I'm not too upset about it as I'll be draining the pool in a few weeks to deal with the 1250ppm CH level. Actually, I'm going to try Mark's trick of draining the deep end while filling into the skimmer to attempt a stratification exchange. So, even though the water is nice looking, it's gotta go anyway. Next spring will require adding back salt and getting it all rebalanced and borated again.

Now may be the time to start pricing out a dual tank water softener and getting the plumber to go fishing for my autofill line to hook it up to that...

I don’t see any real danger in draining, this time of year, as long as you don’t leave it empty for long. We don’t have any ground water to float the pool and the extreme heat is gone.

The first time I drained to lower CH, I noticed that the resulting pool CH was higher than my test of fill water. I theorized that there was some scale left on the pool shell that dissolved back into the water raising the CH.

The next time I fully drained and power washed the pool, before refilling. The resulting CH was exactly the same as I measured in the fill water.

If you still want or feel you need to do a drain and simultaneously fill, Harbor Freight sells huge tarps fairly cheap. I even own one that may be big enough for your purpose. If you want to borrow it, PM me.

Yesterday, took what I believe will be the last swim of the year. Water temperature at 82 F but cool weather forecast for the next week. I'm sure by next weekend the water will be too cold for me to swim in. Summer is fading

Now may be the time to start pricing out a dual tank water softener and getting the plumber to go fishing for my autofill line to hook it up to that...

+1...AND look into a solar roller for irregular pools -- its waaay too early to give up swimming - especially when you live southward ;(

(Michigan has had a hot spell the last few days so I've actually had the cover off nonstop for a while with nice night swims at 90 etc.)

So, I don't know how irregular the shape of your pool is, Matt, but by attrition, I've figured out a way to make a Rockys reel quite manageable for my grecian. Maybe you could rig something similar up as a winter-only system...we drilled anchor holes that we dropped removable pins in on one end...you could likely do that with both ends.

My solar cover ends are cut to size/shape. My reel runs along the side for only 19 of the 30.5 feet.
I cut the shallow end cover right at the reel end all the way across and reattached it with plastic grommets for easier folding. The deep end I left attached. I used plastic screw down tarp clamps and attached guide ropes to each point( 8 points total). I can now grab multiple guide ropes simultaneously to walk/fold the ends onto the middle section or unfold as the case may be. Then I just roll it up.

While I hate the presence of the cover, I don't actually mind the cover/uncover process now that I figured out the guide rope solution. And nothing beats that steamy am swim ;)

Of course, we could outfit you with a winter dome as well ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's great to hear that some of you are getting some extra swim time beyond normal. It seems like you got short-changed earlier in the year, so it's nice to know that mother nature is balancing her books :)

Two shots vodka, one Dr. MiGillicuddy's cherry, top with sprite. Remove pool solar cover and add 3.5 gallons 12.5 chlorine to the pool (I get the vodka). Brush well (the pool).

Enjoy the stars, the cool evening air and relax watching some youtube videos with headphones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support