What did I get myself into??

mcintoshmc

May 31, 2019
Bakersfield
I saw a pool on sale at Kohl’s and decided to give my kids something to do over the summer. I did not realize a smaller pool required this much care. I went to the local pool supply store and they sold me a chlorine floater and some liquid chlorine. After adding the chlorine, I went back a day later to have my water tested, and it basically said that I have less than 1 in chlorine. They recommend I get some stabilizer. The person who sold the product to me said to just put it into the pool this evening, and should be ready for the kids tomorrow. I added the product to the pool about 1 hour ago, and I can see that it just settled to the bottom of the pool.

My hope is that it will dissolve by the morning, but I have my doubts especially after researching on the internet I’m hoping I didn’t damage the liner of the pool.

What do I do if it still at the bottom of the pool in the morning? My assumption is that the kids cannot use the pool; right?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

There is a chance the stabilizer will bleach the vinyl as it is acidic. I would not let the kids swim until it is gone. Brush it around. You have already gotten some poor advice and glad you found us.

Check out the guide for seasonal pools in Pool School. Also start your learning here: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And please ask questions!

Do you have a vacuum? If you move it around it should dissolve. Never add CYA/stabilizer granules that way. Use the Sock method.

What volume pool do you have?

Welcome! :wave:

Yes, there are pool vacuums. Problem is, a decent setup will cost you about as much as the pool. You'll want something eventually, otherwise all the bits of grass and sand the kids track in will accumulate. There are some so-so vacuums for sale in the pool section (out in garden) at Lowes. Some use the garden hose for power, some are battery operated. File this away: if you have the kids run in a circle around the perimeter as they get out, you'll have a whirlpool going. When it settles down, all the debris will be in a heap in the vcenter, so there's less back-and-forth vacuuming.

Your pool chemistry is not so bad. Your pool is small enough that dumping the water and starting over is actually feasible. If you haven't found these articles already, they're worth a read.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.