What did I do wrong?

Just an update... I have been trying to get an answer from Pentair... they have NO suggestions for how to keep algae from growing under the bubbler. And it is very difficult to remove without breaking the plastic nozzle insert. No help with that either. I tried to call KBK (the manufacturer of the bubbler) and I got no answer a couple weeks ago.. no return calls... now the # I have for them says disconnected.

These bubblers are not cheap... and installation in the gunite and plumbing/electrical was not minor. They look great when running... hard to believe KBK/Pentair are not standing behind them and figuring out a solution.

What time of day do you typically run your swg? With your low cya, it is possible that it can't keep up with the suns demand on chlorine in the middle of the day and the algae gets a small foothold as you have shown. Definitely get that cya up in the 70-80 range for next season (or now if you stay open). It will protect against momentary lows in FC and will likely extend your swgs life.

Yup. I will definitely do that.

As I am planning my winterization, it seems that is another thing that these bubblers were not designed for! I can't leave a niche on my shelf full of water... it will freeze. So it is not good enough to just blow out the supply line (and then try to plug it without removing the plastic eyeball housing since it is not made to be removed without breaking)... I also have to remove the light and get all water out of the niche itself... and then HOPE the water level in the pool stays below the shelf otherwise the niche will fill. And I should probably blow out the electric conduit into the niche since it will be exposed to air and that will freeze also.

Does anyone else on here have color cascade lights? How do you winterize yours?

jtech1 said:
The only place I have algae is on the three pentair color cascade bubblers. And not on the surface... it is underneath... where water does not move or flow... it is not sealed, so some gets in, but I am sure it is not getting regular circulated chlorinated water.

Anyone else have the Pentair or KBK bubblers and have this algae problem? Other than removing them every few weeks to clean them I an not sure how I can keep this from happening... I am SLAMming anyway... but, it seems that where water is not circulating, even SLAMming and maintaining a higher general FC level will not help me.

So, yes... I just found I have exactly this problem and am wondering how water chemistry in the rest of the pool can help a place where water is not circulating.

Did SLAMing help you or did you need to pull apart the bubbler too?

Another year... more algae in the lights. I have been religious about keeping my FC in check... exactly where is is supposed to be based on my CYA level. My pool is perfectly fine. But behind the plastic lip of my Pentair ColorCascade bubblers, there is, once again, algae forming. This confirms for me that is is not my pool chemistry, but instead, the way these bubblers are designed. There is NO water flow behind the light in the niche. Light gets in around the clear edge of the light, and no fresh water can get in... no way for algae not to form.

Does anyone else on the forum have Pentair/KBK color cascade lights in their pool? I would really like to find out if this problem is unique to me or others are having the same issue.

Also, I have had another one of the lights fail. Both times it has been moisture getting in to the light. Seems to be a quality control issue with them also. Two failures out of three lights in under a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.