What CYA level for Texas?

3asyB

Silver Supporter
Jan 7, 2019
CSTX
Moved from here.

I’m fairly new, a couple of months now. Mowing through hasachlor 12.75

CYA is typically 20-30

Should I use a puck or two for a week to get it up, or buy some stabilizer, or not worry about it?

Last edited:
Edit: This post was for a comment in this thread that was deleted.

With the kind of heat we get, your CYA should be in the 50-60 range. Pucks won't get you there fast enough. You'll chew through chlorine faster just waiting for it to climb. Add stabilizer using the sock method. Use the pucks for vacation.

I just tried to answer your post in the other thread! Been chasing you. Here's my original answer:

With the kind of heat we get, your CYA should be in the 50-60 range. Pucks won't get you there fast enough. You'll chew through chlorine faster just waiting for it to climb. Add stabilizer using the sock method. Use the pucks for vacation.

Reactions: Divin Dave
I just tried to answer your post in the other thread! Been chasing you. Here's my original answer:

I can attest to this. Moved into my house in North Houston a year ago, and the previous owner was using pucks in the auto dispenser as his sole source of chlorine. CYA was in the 70-90+ range. Through last summer, I only used pucks when i was going out of town and it slooooowly began to creep down. Didn't travel much over the winter and we got a decent bit of rain so by spring, I was getting <20 to 30. I've been using the pucks to try to get it up to the 50 mark (and to get rid of the giant bucket of pucks that I don't use regularly) and it really isn't budging beyond 30. Now that the weather has warmed up, I'm definitely burning through some chlorine.

What testkit are you using?
Post a complete set of test results.
Have you performed an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure you aren't losing FC overnight?
What does your water look like?

A CYA around 50 should work well in summer.

Test kit is TF-100

Results from yesterday are attached. Prior to dosing w/ chlorine or acid.

What is the test to see if I'm
Losing FC overnight. I definitely think I am.

Attachments

• 0D9F13E0-7C55-47C0-B2FC-BA2D94135203.png
    0D9F13E0-7C55-47C0-B2FC-BA2D94135203.png
    339.1 KB · Views: 28
You do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. You do this test without the sun to eliminate chlorine loss due to UV from it.
Test the FC just about when the sun goes down.
To it again just before the sun comes up.

If you loose more than 1 ppm of FC overnight, then something in the pool (likely algae), is using up the FC.

Reactions: 3asyB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.