What color glass beads give the water a more vibrant sparkly blue. Need help asap :).

Big Will

Silver Supporter
Feb 14, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm going to be getting plaster soon and I'm going with stonescapes tropics blue mini pebble. I'm getting beads and I need some help choosing the bead colors, as my title suggest I'm looking to make my water pop with a sparkly vibrant blue colors, want to make sure the beads are noticeable, and want to make sure I get the right beads. Can everyone provide insight and maybe even some pictures of there water color?
Thanks in advance for your prompt responses.

I just finished filling my pool with water. As I was filling it today, the really sparkly thing I noticed where the abalone shells. I have glass beads in a blue blend - aqua blue, cobalt blue, clearish/pearl looking beads which kind of sparkle. I saw the bags, and it's called Pebble Radiance, Blue Pearl. I will post more pics of my pool on my build thread, but the water usually doesn't look it's best right away.
I hope this helps some! Good luck - your pool is amazing!

Piggy backing off your thread Will!

I just finished filling my pool with water. As I was filling it today, the really sparkly thing I noticed where the abalone shells. I have glass beads in a blue blend - aqua blue, cobalt blue, clearish/pearl looking beads which kind of sparkle. I saw the bags, and it's called Pebble Radiance, Blue Pearl. I will post more pics of my pool on my build thread, but the water usually doesn't look it's best right away.
I hope this helps some! Good luck - your pool is amazing!

Do you know the brand? Bc our color plaster is called Blue Pearl as well and it is a mini pebble but no glass beads in it. It is a smoother pebble than others to touch but still pebble material. I don't want to change the color but I would love to have it twinkle. I was thinking clear beads would grab the sun and twinkle more? I have read threads on here with negative long term effects of the shell which is why I haven't looked at it.

Do you know the brand? Bc our color plaster is called Blue Pearl as well and it is a mini pebble but no glass beads in it. It is a smoother pebble than others to touch but still pebble material. I don't want to change the color but I would love to have it twinkle. I was thinking clear beads would grab the sun and twinkle more? I have read threads on here with negative long term effects of the shell which is why I haven't looked at it.

I saw all the bags, so I know it's finest finishes product.

I did ask two plasterers about the shells, & they claim it's not a problem. One of them installs Pebble tec with shimmering seas (shells).

That finish looks great! So it's the shells that gives the sparkle? I was planning to use the beads, but was on the fence about adding shells. After seeing your pictures, now I'm back to leaning towards the shells.

That finish looks great! So it's the shells that gives the sparkle? I was planning to use the beads, but was on the fence about adding shells. After seeing your pictures, now I'm back to leaning towards the shells.

That is my current problem now lol but I'm in for the shells.
Just for reference here is a pic of the bead blends colors to help he next poor stressed souls like myself lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have y'all read some of the threads on here about the long term issues with the shells? Something about them being organic material and eventually breaking down and leaving a dark, ugly mark everywhere? After getting our quote for the beads, it is a no go, but I would be interested in the shells except the stuff I read on here. Azsunsets, your pics are beautiful.

Have y'all read some of the threads on here about the long term issues with the shells? Something about them being organic material and eventually breaking down and leaving a dark, ugly mark everywhere? After getting our quote for the beads, it is a no go, but I would be interested in the shells except the stuff I read on here. Azsunsets, your pics are beautiful.

Hi Shantelly, I found one of the threads here. It sounds like it might have been attributed to bad water chemistry.

Yes I saw that one and have seen it crop up a few more times. Hmm... I would hope they are more affordable than the glass beads. $4900 for the whole pool! Eek! But also seems the shells bring the bling more than the glass so maybe that works out.

What? $4900? That is CRAZY! You would think they would be less expensive than glass beads. It's all about what people are willing to pay...Well, this person is not. At least not at that price. I'm afraid to even ask my PB what it will cost. He's already charging me a fortune for Stonescape Mini-Pebble. I've tried to negotiate, but he won't budge.

Yeah when he said $4900 for glass beads I was like nope!! And just added to the floor is $1500. Just not worth it. Shall inquire about the shells.... I would go ahead and ask your PB. All they can do is tell you and then you go from there.

Okay, I misunderstood. They want $4,900 for glass beads....I think you might be able to get diamonds for that price. :p Then shells should definitely be less than that. When speaking with my PB, he never mentioned shells only glass beads. I might try to negotiate him throwing in shells, if I agree to his mini-pebble price. I should have stuck to doing a retro pool with none of the extras (standard tile, standard coping, no spa, no automation). I probably could have saved myself at least $25K.

Thank you!
I don't really know if there is a problem with the shells or not. I do have a 15 year warranty. I asked about the problem I heard of at both plaster companies I was considering, & they said there is anything to worry about. Who knows - I'm hoping there aren't any issues, obviously.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.