What chemicals to buy - Very confused

Jun 21, 2017
Arlingon, TX
I am taking over my pool and I was wondering what chemicals do I need also I am trying to get the most bang for my dollar on what is a good buy.

I found this stuff at Sams Club and Walmart. Also what is lb for lb the best measuring cup looking for recommendations on adding liquid chlorine and muratic acid. Right now those are the only two chemicals I have. Leslies always tries to sell me phospfree etc but most on here say not to buy that from them. My Leslies does not do refillables. I am also seeing where most are buying 12% chlorine but walmart has 10% containers only now I have 12% I got at Lowes for a decent price. I know buying things from Sams in bulk is typically good but I am seeing most on here use liquid chlorine I think the 12% stuff. Maybe I should just stick to Lowes they have the 12% Chlorine

First things first. You're gonna need a test kit that we recommend to ACCURATELY tell you how much of anything your pool needs to add. If your TA is not in range, we recommend baking soda for example.

The only one of those you need is the chlorine at Walmart.

What test kit do you have?

I have one two cup (for acid) and a 4 cup (for liquid chlorine, etc) plastic cups I got at Walmart or the dollar store, can't remember which.

In TX I suspect all you will need regularly is muriatic acid and liquid chlorine. You will need CYA granules if you test it below 40 or 50 ppm. You may eventually need some trichlor tablets (that was one of the pictures above) for when you will be gone for a few days or a week. I would not get more than a small bucket of those (Home Depot or Walmart or Lowes).

If your TA is zero, your pH is very low. How did that happen?

Use PoolMath for how much baking soda to use. But do it in steps. Add 20-30 ppm TA worth of baking soda at a time, circulate well, and test. Include pH when testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry I was wrong and thanks for the baking soda I think my goal of this post has been resolved I was just wanting to know what chemicals I needed.

Chlorine I am only seeing 10% around no more 12% whats up with that?
Muratic acid I do not see that walmart is carrying this so I will purchase at lowes

The chlorine at Lowes is only marginally more expensive than walmarts but it looks like it has been sitting on the shelf for a long long time the gallons are always a dirty mess. If I use a 10% off Lowes coupon the chlorine is marginally less expensive than walmarts.

Baking soda will be cheapest at Sams Club in the big bags

So chemicals needed

Chlorine - Walmart but sometime Lowes
Muratic Acid - Lowes
Baking Soda - Sam's Club

Thanks for the responses @mknauss I have been insanely busy and not had time to test with the TF100 or learn it my last test results were from Leslies

The thing I was looking at on the paperwork they provided is the CYA was low but I think this all ties into chlorine the CA levels were ok.

Reactions: JessB412
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.