What category does liquid chlorine fall in on the pool math page?

Oct 17, 2018
KATY/TX
I was using bleach but I stopped that because bleach is $5 per gallon and liquid chlorine is stronger and cheaper.
I bought THIS from home depot.
When looking at the pool math it says to add in 68 ounces of 6 weight % bleach. If liquid chlorine has 10% sodium hypoclhlorite then all I need to do is change the 6 weight % to 10 weight % on pool math right?
When I change it from 6 weight% it changes to 10 trade % instead of weight.... what does trade mean?

Plain household bleach, liquid chlorine, and liquid pool shock are all the same and come in various concentrations. Nothing wrong with HD liquid chlorine assuming it has not been sitting too long exposed to the elements. For pool math, ignore the "trade" tag and just stick with the percentage.

Hi Morketh,

To answer your basic question.
The term weight is used for the percentage of sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) in household strength bleach.
For example, if the jug weights 100 lbs, 6 lbs of it would be NaOCI

The term trade is used in the industrial world. Anything 10% or above is typically considered industrial and the % is determined not by weight, but by Volume.
So if there is 100 gallons of Liquid Chlorine, 10 gallons of it would be NaOCl

There is a slight difference between how the two are calculated in Pool Match because there is a little difference in the specific gravity between bleach and "Liquid Chlorine".

I was using bleach but I stopped that because bleach is $5 per gallon and liquid chlorine is stronger and cheaper.
I bought THIS from home depot.
When looking at the pool math it says to add in 68 ounces of 6 weight % bleach. If liquid chlorine has 10% sodium hypoclhlorite then all I need to do is change the 6 weight % to 10 weight % on pool math right?
When I change it from 6 weight% it changes to 10 trade % instead of weight.... what does trade mean?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.