Padle

Dec 11, 2022
Tampa Bay, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So new to pool care here. I recently had to empty and refill part of my pool, and I noticed that the skimmer is not really sucking in any water , the vacuum is (there's a dedicated port for it).

This has made me go back to my pool pump and try and figure out what all the pipes are, do the skimmer and vacuum have different pipes that lead to the pump, can I shut one off and turn the other one on?

I'm attaching a picture of anyone has an idea what the three intake pipes are ( the three pipes leading to the pump? It would be greatly helpful.

Thanks!

20221215_160852.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Padle do you have two skimmers or a skimmer and main drain?

The pipe on the right is likely the vacuum. The other two on left are skimmers/main.

The “door” is on the opposite side of the pivot point from the handle. So, the right valve is partially closing the pipe coming into it from the left. On right valve, handle at 3 o’clock will close off left entry pipe. Handle at 9 will close off pipe coming in from right.

P,

You have three inputs to your pump. Most likely, Skimmer, Main Drain and Vac Port.

Which pipe is which is unknown as it just depends on the plumber.

I suggest that as a test, you set the valve in front of the pump so that the handle is pointed right at the pump. This will fully open both pipes connected to that valve. On the other valve, I suggest that you set it so that the handle is pointed straight down, that will fully open the pipes connected to that valve.

Then, play with it to determine what each valve does.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Photos attached. The skimmer has two holes, one higher and one lower, though neither seem to be pulling any serious water right now.

So if I understand everyone correctly, one is the drain on the bottom of the pool, one is the vaccum and one is the skimmer.

Do pools need the main drain to be open to operate the pump?20221218_152517.jpg20221218_152413.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.